Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Comic Book Conglomeration: July 2017

Some of the comic books I read in July are the best I've read this year. But here's what I thought of all the books I've read this past month.


Civil War II by Brian Michael Bendis and David Marquez
I knew going into this it would be devastating, but I didn't realize how devastating it would be. I wasn't even halfway through the volume before several well-known characters had already died or were severely injured. And it only got worse. The first Marvel Civil War was hard because it pitted two of my favorite characters against each other, whereas this one I didn't have as hard of a time choosing a side. (Freedom first, always.) But both sides are valid and have reasons for their actions, which makes Civil War such a hard comic to read, no matter the issue. There isn't one answer; things aren't black and white. I also didn't feel this one had as huge of impact. Sure, things exploded, but it was like the explosion was contained. I guess we'll see how it affects the next series of comic books.


Civil War II: Choosing Sides by Declan Shalvey
I wasn't as impressed with this comic. I expected it to show different heroes choosing a side for the Civil War, but it didn't really do that. (Unless I'm a complete doofus and missed it.) Instead, it highlighted several heroes and how they reacted to certain parts of Civil War, such as the deaths. It's probably better to read other comics that intersect with the Civil War story arc before reading this one. It did have highlights like Justin Trudeau boxing with Tony Stark or the cover variants for the different issues.

Gotham Academy, Vol. 3: Yearbook by Brenden Fletcher, Dustin Nguyen, Derek Fridolfs, and Rafael Albuquerque
This volume of Gotham Academy was so much fun. It's basically a montage of various adventures the students had during their first year at Gotham Academy. Maps, of course, is still my favorite, and I freaking adore her obsession with Batman and her desire to be the next Robin. (And the fact that Batman saw her fanart is seriously the best thing to ever happen.) This volume was definitely more light-hearted, even though it did have a conflict linking the stories together, but it was still a lot of fun and worth a read if you love the Gotham Academy crew.

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year 5, Vol. 3  by Brian Buccellato
This volume wraps up the Injustice comics and slips right into how the video game begins. Since I haven't played the video game, I was looking for a more solid ending. (But I guess that's why I should probably play the video game.) Still, it was intense and had a lot of stuff that was better than previous volumes.

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 4: I Kissed a Squirrel and I Liked It by Ryan North, Erica Henderson, Jacob Chabot, and Rico Renzi
This volume was bizarre. It starts off with a choose-your-own-adventure issue, which was so much fun. Then there's Mole Man and lots of squirrel and koi puns throughout. Still, it's worth a read because Squirrel Girl is amazing.

Ms. Marvel Vol. 6: Civil War II by G. Willow Wilson, Takeshi Miyazawa, and Adrian Alphona
Remember when I said Civil War II was devastating? I think Ms. Marvel's intersection to the Marvel Event was the worst (that I've read so far). But this is also probably the best Ms. Marvel comic I've read yet. It packed a punch as I witnessed Kamala struggle with the two sides of the war and come to a decision about right and wrong. It hurt a lot, but the best thing about Ms. Marvel comics is that no matter what she faces, what she goes through, how much damage happens... there's hope in the end. And I have hope that Kamala Khan will be just fine.

What comic books have you read recently? Any recommendations for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment