Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Unpopular Opinion: The Most Disappointing Books I've Read So Far in 2017

Recently, I've learned I'm a book snob. I used to never DNF a book unless I really couldn't get into it. Now, I DNF books left and right without feeling a thing. So I thought I would list books I've read recently that didn't live up to my Book Snob Expectations. Since there aren't 10 books published this year that I was disappointed in (I'm actually surprised), I'm going to discuss books I read this year, regardless of publication date, that left me dissatisfied.*


*If you enjoyed any of these titles, have no fear. I have ridiculously high standards sometimes, and most of these books received 3-stars from me despite my irritations. I feel that most of these could have been better, but if you enjoyed them, great! There are tons of books I read so far this year that received similar ratings. I just didn't have any expectations going into it, like I did with these.

1. The Raven King by Maggie Stievfater
Don't hurt me. Please. I inhaled the first three books of The Raven Cycle in a matter of weeks. I was eagerly looking forward to the grand conclusion, and I had high hopes based on Goodreads reviews. But... I was not satisfied with The Raven King. (And I learned that Goodreads reviews lie.) The Raven King had a lot going on, which is probably the biggest problem. There was too much happening without enough explanation. And the whole build-up to Blue kissing Gansey? Garbage. SPOILER There was no explanation for why he died because she kissed him. Like yeah, there was a prophecy about her or whatever that said she'd killed him, but there wasn't a concrete reason?!?? He died because of the prophecy, not because of Blue. And I just couldn't handle that. Then it didn't even matter because they simply brought him back with *waves arms* MAGIC. I wanted him to die! As harsh as that sounds, I think the story would have benefited if he'd died. (The CYCLE would have been complete, and it would have been great.) But instead, it wrapped up into a nice, little present of GOOD FEELINGS and HAPPINESS. But just... ugh. Also what the frick-frack happened to Noah? He was my favorite ghost boy ever, and he just disappeared. I'm angry. 

I'm sorry. I wanted so, so badly to love this. But I felt like I was ripped off with that ending. It could have been better.

2. Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth
I tried. I tried so hard to read this book. But I gave up after about 100 pages. The beginning chapters were intriguing, I was like... okay, maybe this will work. But then it just. got. so. slow. Nothing happened for ages and ages. And it was a disaster. I read several Goodreads reviews (I really shouldn't trust it, though) and decided to give up. Because who has time for 500 pages of slooooowwww reading that isn't worth it in the end? Not me. (Aka Book Snob Mode has been engaged.) Plus! Plus, it ripped off Star Wars almost word for word. Did you really think we wouldn't notice that "the current" sounds an awful lot like... I dunno, THE FORCE? The best thing about this book is the cover, honestly.

3. Defy the Stars Claudia Gray
The cover of Defy the Stars is absolutely gorgeous, but I couldn't get into the story or connect with the characters. I wanted to. And I might give this another try when I have more time, but for now, I've marked it as DNF, and occasionally, I give it sad faces from across the library.

4. Wintersong by S. Jae Jones
Why??? Okay, so the premise of this book sounded cool, and I freaking loved the references to "Goblin Market" by Christina Rossetti. I was hooked. And while the story is great, it kind of just... didn't work? There was a lot of content that could have worked better as an adult book, and then there were parts that just dragged. I don't know. It wasn't bad, but it didn't live up to my Book Snob Expectations.

5. Caraval by Stephanie Garber
This book had its highs and lows. The concept was great, the descriptions were gorgeous, and the plot was a wild adventure. It had a lot of potential. So. Much. Potential. And I felt like parts of it, especially the ending, didn't live up to that potential. It definitely could have been better. And now I'm a sad panda because of it.

6. Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller
Go. Away. Just go away. Again, this book had a lot of potential, but I can't believe I finished reading it and didn't give it up. There was so much about it that annoyed me. (Like I wanted to strangle the main character???? That's not normal.) And it was predictable and vague and at times booooring. The pirates were boring?! How is that even possible? I'm also a pirate snob, so you know, there's that.

7. The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick
Why does this even exist? It was garbage. All garbage. Don't even bother reading it. Nope, not even for Darcy's letter. (Everything in the letter is revealed in the show anyways, so whatever.) Honestly, I'm still angry about this book.

8. The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli
I read 20 pages of this book, read a few Goodreads reviews (again, why?), and gave up. I just knew I wasn't going to like it. It felt like it was pushing an agenda, which okay whatever. But it wasn't something I wanted to read. It has a lot of high reviews, so if you liked it, great. But it wasn't just not my thing.

9. The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi
This was pretty, but where was the plot? the pacing? I love the concept, especially the inclusion of Indian mythology, but this book had a lot of problems. The pacing was awful and the plot kind of dissipated part way through. It needed more time to stretch and flesh out. But there were also beautiful, beautiful moments. *sigh*

10. When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
*groans* Don't even get me started. Just read my rant if you really want to know how much I hate this book right now.

What books have you read recently that disappointed you? Do you have any "unpopular opinions" about certain titles?

No comments:

Post a Comment