Sunday, July 30, 2017

Fandom Friday: Fandom Doppelgangers

The Fangirl Initiative recently added a new weekly link-up for fangirls and fanboys: Fandom Fridays. I haven't had a chance to participate yet since I was in Florida the other weeks, but I'm participating this week, even though today isn't Friday. (It kind of bothers me not to post Fandom Friday on Friday, so maybe in the future I'll rearrange my blog schedule to fit it in like I started doing with Top Ten Tuesdays.)


This week's prompt is to discuss five characters from fandom that I relate to the most or get compared to the most. *shrieks* There are so many characters I relate to that it's hard to narrow down. But I'll do my best!

1. Bilbo Baggins (The Hobbit)


If I was forced to only pick one character I relate to, I wouldn't hesitate to pick Bilbo Baggins. Despite being tall, I am a hobbit at heart. I'd love to relax at home all day, eating food and reading books, maybe even tending the garden. But I'm also like Bilbo because I want to have adventure and go places, but the moment I step out of my house, I wonder "What in the world am I doing? I should go home immediately." The struggle is real. Bilbo Baggins has a big heart, which includes a bit of a Tookish heart, and I definitely have that. Plus, when people knock on the door, I creep around my house, hiding and trying to figure out who it is before I open the door. You know, it's the little things.

2. Rapunzel (Tangled)


While I'm not nearly as energetic or outgoing as Rapunzel, I definitely feel kinship with her. We're both a little naive, and we often trust people easily. Plus, when I am excited about something, I definitely do the squee-and-jump-up-and-down thing she does. Rapunzel has a soft soul, believing in the impossible and the romantic as well as believing in people. I am the same, at times, even if I won't admit it or show it. We're both creative, her with painting, me with writing. And I may or may not be dating Flynn Rider.

3. Newt Scamander (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them)


I didn't jump on the Harry Potter bandwagon until I saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy reading Harry Potter, I did. I loved the world that was created and many of the characters, but I didn't connect to any one particular character. Until I met Newt Scamander. Within moments of Newt walking across the screen, I knew I had found someone to connect with. Newt is a shy guy, who likes to talk to animals more than people. He walks to his own beat, does his own thing, and doesn't let anybody stop him. He's adorkable and goofy in the best possible way and loyal once he gets to know someone. These aspects of him made me feel known. I would much rather talk to animals or books than people. I like to do my own thing, and sometimes I'm a little goofy. I'm loyal to those I'm close to, and I'd like to think I stand up for what I believe. Plus, who wouldn't want a suitcase full of fantastic creatures?

4. Matt Murdock (Daredevil)


When I first watched Daredevil, I was shocked to find a lot of similarities between myself and Matt Murdock. I didn't expect this pushed-to-the-side superhero to mean so much to me, but he did. From his deep friendship with Foggy to his unstoppable need to save his city to the war within his heart and mind, I feel Matt Murdock deep in my soul. He has a lot of pent up anger for injustice, and he's often times reckless as he tries to save the city. But he doesn't give up or in. I'd like to think if faced with a similar situation, if there was no other way to stop injustice, that I, too, would rise up to the challenge. He struggles a lot with juggling his religion with what needs to be done to stop the injustice, which I think is one of the best depictions of the Christian faith ever portrayed in entertainment. It's not beating around the bush or promising a happily ever after; it's life, lived day in and out, trying to find a balance between human nature and the will of God. I know that kind of struggle. In addition, Matt Murdock became a lawyer to help people. Everything he does is for others, from his friends to random strangers who need assistance. I, too, want to help people, to bring them hope.

5. Jane Bennet (Pride and Prejudice)


Often overshadowed by her sister Elizabeth, Jane Bennet is a quiet soul. She's shy, she's pretty, and she's optimistic. Jane sees the best in people, even when they hurt her. She doesn't let it stop her from hoping that something good will work out in the end. I definitely connect with Jane more than the other Bennet sisters (though I wish I could be as quick and outspoken as Elizabeth). Jane is sweet, and often, people say I'm sweet. But I'm also shy and misunderstood, just like Jane. There's nothing wrong with being like Jane though, after all she does get her man, who is just as sweet and adorable as her.

Bonus: Toothless (How To Train Your Dragon)


I cannot have a list of doppelgangers without including my ultimate fandom twin: dragons. I am a dragon, it's a truth universally acknowledged by everybody who knows me. And if I'm any specific dragon, I'm most like Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon. Toothless is kind of goofy, kind of silly, but all kinds of adorable. He loves Hiccup and is loyal to a fault once he gets to know you. He can also be super sassy, which is practically my second language. Toothless is a pretty epic dragon, and I think I relate a lot. Especially with the breathing magical blue fire orbs thing.

Of course, I relate to many other characters, including the Eleventh Doctor (Doctor Who), Lucy Pevensie (The Chronicles of Narnia), Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars), Eleven (Stranger Things), Belle (Beauty and the Beast), Armin Arlet (Attack on Titan), Iku Kasahara (Library War), Groot (Guardians of the Galaxy), and more!

Are you participating in Fandom Fridays? Tell me about your fandom doppelgangers and don't forget to link-up!

2 comments: