Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Comic Book Conglomeration: June

June was a good month for reading novels apparently, since I read eight. But once more that means I read less comic books and manga. Still, most of the comic books I read this month were pretty good. (And no, I did not get through the Wonder Woman comic book stack I had. Most were taken back to the library unread and added to my TBR list on Goodreads for later. *sigh*)



Arki, 1 by Keiichi Arawi
I was handed this book in a car while waiting for people to shop in Wal-Mart. Needless to say, I finished it in one sitting. I wasn't very impressed overall. The stories were cute, but they were so disconnected I had a hard time keeping track of who was who or what was happening. I love slice of life, but these were more unrelated mini-episodes instead of building upon one another. I think I would like it better as an anime than I did as a manga.

The Legend of Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Origins by  Renae De Liz and Ray Dillon
Maybe it's because I read this right after watching the Wonder Woman film, but I really enjoyed this comic book. I liked how the did her origin story, explaining the gods and how she becomes involved with the war. Diana and Etta and the other gals were great, but my favorite part of the volume was the artwork. It was just so pretty and clear and wow. I'm impressed. I look forward to reading more in this series.

Bunny Drop (Usagi-drop) Vol. 1 and 2 by Yumi Unita
I watched the anime of this about a year or so ago, and I loved it. It's so cute. The manga, at least right now, is much the same. Daikichi's face still cracks me up, and Rin is so sweet. I can't wait to read more and get overwhelmed by all the adorbs!

Lumberjanes Vol. 5 and 6: Band Together and Sink or Swim by Noelle Stevenson, Shannon Watters, Carolyn Nowak, Grace Ellis, and Brooke A. Allen
Both of these volumes continue the wacky, hilarious adventures of the Lumberjanes. I adore these comics and highly recommend them. I love the art style, the creativity, and the craziness of them. In addition, these volumes revealed new secrets of the camp and showed how the girls all met, which was sweet.

Hawkeye Vol. 6: Hawkeyes by Jeff Lemire and Ramón Pérez
This comic hurt a lot. Clint and Kate grow apart due to the events of previous volumes, and it was a hard comic to read. There are a lot of flash forwards and flashbacks, and I loved how they mixed up the art styles and color schemes to differentiate what was happening between the past, present, and future. Despite the heartbreak, this comic was good. It became better and better as I read, and what was explored was touching.

What comics or manga have you read recently? Any recommendations?

1 comment:

  1. I'm watching Usagi Drop currently and really enjoying it. ^ ^ Rin is adorable. :)

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete