Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Beautiful People: July 2017


For some writers, July means scrambling to write as many words as possible for Camp Nanowrimo. For me, it means I'm in the depths of editing--at least this time. And surprisingly, it's going well. Maybe it's the story, maybe it's my motivation, maybe it's something else entirely--either way, I'm going to keep at it while it lasts. So for Beautiful People this month, Sky and Cait decided to feature questions not about characters, but about the authors to commemorate Camp Nanowrimo's craziness!

So sit down, grab the closest mythological beast (for cuddles, obviously), and learn about me, the author.

Questions

How do you decide which project to work on?

(Me, basically)

Usually, the project picks me. Whatever story (or character) won't leave me alone is what I focus on. But sometimes I have to postpone stories in order to edit or move forward with long-term projects. (I still keep a notebook or computer document handy to write down any ideas that come my way, though. Don't want to lose those!)

How long does it usually take you to finish a project?
What is this word... finish?


Just kidding! It really depends on the story. If I'm participating in Nanowrimo, sometimes I can finish a first draft in a month. If I'm working on editing, I have no idea how long it'll take, considering I've never finished editing a project yet. But mainly, it depends on what story I'm telling, what part of the process I'm focused on (read: drowning in), and what else is happening in my life.

Do you have any routines to put you in the writing mood?


Ha ha. Just kidding. Not really? I just have to be focused. So if something is distracting me or I need to do something first, I have to do that in order to focus on writing. Most of the time.

What time of day do you write best?
I'm most productive at night, when it's quiet, but I'm usually always writing. Even if I'm not writing on my computer or with a pen to page, my mind is dwelling on writing, forming stories and worlds, learning about characters--it's all there.


Are there any authors you think you have a similar style to?
According to the "I Write Like" website, I have a similar style to... Agatha Christie


Not sure that I do, but okay then. I'm not sure who I have a similar style to, though. (If anybody has read my work, let me know in the comments who I'm similar to!)

Why did you start writing, and why do you keep writing?
I can't recall why I started. As a wee child, I must have had an idea and decided to write it down. But I keep writing because it's the best way I can communicate. It's the best way for me to express myself. And it's the best way to make me feel alive. (Annd....)


What’s the hardest thing you’ve written?
That 20 page lit theory paper in college was a disaster.

(Me, when I finished)

Is there a project you want to tackle someday but you don’t feel ready yet?


I have a lot of projects I'd like to tackle someday. My idea bank won't stop. I have plenty of Pinterest boards to help me gather ideas for when I'm ready. A lot of ideas--like the Airplane Novel or my fairy tale retellings or my Peter Pan retelling--would require more research and re-reading stories. Other stories, like my space opera and my superhero novel, just require having time to do so. (And probably the best mood/frame of mind to do so.)

What writing goals did you make for 2017 and how are they going?

(Me explaining my 2017 goals)

I never publicly announced any writing goals for 2017, but I think the big thing I want to focus on is editing and rewriting my library novel. I'm in the depths of editing now, which requires re-reading the story and figuring out what needs to be fixed and improved. So I'd say so far it's going well. A lot better than earlier this year when I found it difficult to write or edit anything. If I could finish this story up enough for beta readers by the end of the year, that would be stupendous.

Describe your writing process in 3 words or a gif!


Okay, okay. Just kidding. It's more like this:

(Three gifs, sue me.)

What does your writing process look like? Let me know if you're participating in Beautiful People!

4 comments:

  1. Your GIF choices are so perfect. :D

    I'm the same way about always having something about stories running through my head, even if it's just sort of a background thought. But it's a great way to figure out plot fixes and things!

    The library novel sounds like such a fun story. :) Wishing you all the best with your writing and editing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      And I think writers are always working on stories, even if it's just through life experience or reading books/watching movies or TV shows. :)

      Delete
  2. I love Agatha Christie's books! I tried "I Write Like" and got J. K. Rowling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why it said I was like Agatha Christie. I've never read any of her books (though I want to read a couple, especially Murder on the Orient Express). But seriously, J.K. Rowling! That's exciting! Thanks for reading.

      Delete