Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Top Ten Tuesdays: Series I've Been Meaning to Read But Haven't

This week's Top 10 Tuesdays (which is actually going to be posted on Tuesday!) is a list of series I've been meaning to read but haven't yet. Unfortunately, that list is longer than ten. With over 800 books on my Goodreads to-be read list, it's bound to be full of series I need to start. Here are ten I probably should read soon.


1. Chaos Walking by Patrick Ness: I've heard good things about this series for a long time. I even own the first book, which I plan to read soon-ish. In the next coming years, the series is getting a movie adaptation, so I definitely need to read them!!

2. A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin: I don't know how many times these books (or the TV show) have been recommended to me. I own the first four books, but I have yet to feel brave enough to pick up the hefty volume and read it. Maybe soon? Or... never?

3. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas: Like ASOIAF, I've been told numerous times but numerous people to read Throne of Glass, but I haven't. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I've also been told it's not that good, or maybe I just focused on other (read: better) books that are out there?

4. Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard: This series is right there with Throne of Glass. I've been told to read it, but I've also heard it wasn't as good. I've been kind of back and forth about what to do, so maybe I should just try it out and decide for myself.

5. The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss: I've been told over and over by a few close friends that I need, need, need, need to read this series. But... the books are so long! I love a long story (I mean, I read Les Mis last year), but sometimes long books are so intimidating, especially when my TBR pile is overflowing. What to do... what to do...

6. Gentleman Bastard by Scott Lynch: Again, I've been told by multiple friends that I have to read these books. The first is on my short list to start soon, once I finish all the library books I currently have checked out. So we'll see.

7. The Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence: I was recommended the first book in this series during a writing workshop in order to help my own writing and world-building, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I should probably put it on my short list and read it soon, right?

8. Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis: I read Out of the Silent Planet forever ago, but I never finished the trilogy. I received a copy of all three books in one volume (which has a gorgeous cover) for my birthday several years ago, but... I still didn't finish. Do you see my problem?

9. The Dinosaur Lords by Victor Mil├ín: This series is about medieval knights that ride dinosaurs into battle. I mean, come on! Did somebody read my Christmas list or what? This sounds epic, and most of the reviews say it's good. Must. Read. Soon.

10. The Queen's Thief by Megan Whalen Turner: Okay, okay, I read The Thief a while ago, back in high school, and honestly, I forgot the rest of the series existed. (Oops.) But recently with the hype for the Thick as Thieves release, this series has caught my interest again. I'll probably have to re-read The Thief first, but hey, it's worth it!

Should I even bother with any of these? Any other series you'd recommend?

16 comments:

  1. Throne of Glass made my TBR too! And I didn't think of the Chaos Walking series, but I totally have the first one too. ASOIF is a big time investment, but I love the books and re-read them regularly and totally recommend them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely take your recommendation of ASOIF into consideration! It's good to know that they are enjoyable!

      And yes, Throne of Glass and Chaos Walking!

      Delete
  2. I ADORE the Chaos Walking series. It's one of my favorite YA dystopian series of all time. I also enjoy C.S. Lewis -- I put the Chronicles of Narnia on my list today as I need to go back and re-read the one (ones?) I've read and then finish the series.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh! Narnia! I need to re-read those too. I tell myself almost every year "This year I should re-read Narnia" but I never get around to it. Soon? I love them, so you definitely should re-read and finish.

      And thank you for letting me know that you enjoyed Chaos Walking. I really want to read those soon!

      Delete
  3. Great list! The only series I've actually started is Throne of Glass and I'm even behind on that. The rest are on my Goodreads TBR and some of them have been sitting on my shelves for ages but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet. Story of my life! Hope you have a wonderful week!

    Elena @ Book Lady's Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh. The troubles of book reading: always being behind on books and always having books sitting around for ages. *sigh*

      :)

      Delete
  4. I really like the Throne of Glass books, but they're not for everyone, I mean no book is. Red Queen is fine, but nothing special. I need to read the Chaos Walking books, I tried the first one and didn't get very far, but I feel like I should give it more of a chance.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/20/top-ten-tuesday-112/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree that not every book is for everybody, but since you enjoyed it, I'll give it consideration.

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  5. I say always read or at least try for yourself... that being said I did not enjoy Chaos Walking or Red Queen. They were both 1 star reads for me and honestly if I could have given RQ negative stars I would, lol. I have friends who rave about both series though so grain of salt, of course. I want to read Thro of Zglass too but I think I'll read her other Fae series first

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! It's helpful to hear both sides. Thanks for your input. :)

      Delete
  6. I've only read Throne of Glass and Req Queen from your list. I really hope you like both of them! I haven't yet gotten to finishing King's Cage because it's going quite slow ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Thanks for the encouragement. I hope that it picks up or you find the motivation to read!

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed the Throne of Glass series, but I liked ACOTAR a tad more if I were being honest. But it's still a good series once you get into it. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I've heard good and bad about both series, so I wasn't sure which to start with. (I think Throne of Glass is older? Not sure.)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I haven't read A Song of Ice And Fire either, but sort of want to, but sort of don't. I'm torn on it. I liked the TV series at first but then ended up getting bored with it after the fifth season I think, and now I just don't know if it's worth reading the books or not.
    I want to read The Dinosaur Lords series at some point. I remember seeing them in the book store about a year ago and was intrigued but passed on them at that point because I was trying to stick to a list and not add more books to my already over flowing shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the TV show, but I've heard people talking about it (and the books) a lot. I've also had a friend tell me to skip the show, read the books, and other friends say don't bother at all. So I feel the struggle.

      And yes! Dinosaur Lords caught my eye when it first came out because the concept was brilliant!

      Delete