Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Top Ten Tuesdays: The Best Books of 2017 So Far

This week's Top Ten Tuesday prompt is a list of the best books I've read in 2017 so far. It's kind of open-ended, so I'm going to list only books that were published in 2017. Here are my favorites! (They're in order of how I read them, not how I rate them.)


1. Wires and Nerve by Marissa Meyer: I was stoked when I learned Marissa Meyer was writing a graphic novel set in The Lunar Chronicles world. I was definitely not ready to say goodbye to these lovely characters. Thus, I'm glad I enjoyed reading it. It had the same humor, adorableness, and action-y awesomeness that the books have. I'm already looking forward to part two!

2. A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab: I inhaled the first two books in the Shades of Magic trilogy, so when A Conjuring of Light came out, I had to read it immediately. It was worth it. So worth it. Every page, every moment. I don't know if I've ever been so satisfied with a story's conclusion than this one. V.E. Schwab's writing is just magic.

3. King's Blood by Jill Williamson: I'm not always a huge fan of big books because they usually take forever to read, but in some cases, long books are good. King's Blood is gigantic, but it was definitely worth all those pages. The story that unfolds is intriguing and heart-felt. A lot happens, and it's wild. (Check out my review of it here.)

4. Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor: There are some authors that make me want to give up writing because there is no way I'll ever reach that level of amazing. Laini Taylor is this author. Strange the Dreamer goes above and beyond her other books, weaving a story with stellar world-building, fantastic characters, and gorgeous descriptions. Just go read it now! (If you're not convinced, check out my review here.)

5. Attack on Titan, Vol. 21 by Hajime Isayama: I don't normally include manga or long comic series volumes in my top books list because one volume can't always accurately capture the entire series. But Attack on Titan Vol. 21 is the exception. (Really, Attack on Titan is always the exception.) This volume revealed a lot, completely changing everything I thought I knew about this story. It's kind of incredible, and it definitely left me screaming.

6. The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan: Basically, Rick Riordan can do no wrong. Once more, he knocks it out of the park with his perfectly placed dialogue, his blending of mythology and modern day aspects, and his fantastic, wonderful, amazing characters. (That was for you, Apollo.) If you love Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, or anything else Riordan has written, read Trials of Apollo. They're hilarious and well-written.

7. Spider-Gwen Vol. 2: Weapon of Choice by Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez: Spider-Gwen has easily become one of my favorite comic book series. There's just something more to her that I never quite caught with Peter Parker's Spider-man. Her relationship with her dad is definitely a high point, but I also admire Gwen's determination to do the right thing, no matter the cost.

8. Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia: This book surprised me because I expected it to fall into a typical YA formula, but it didn't. It had a lot to it--highlighting many important issues--and I loved the characters. I'm grateful for what Francesca Zappia has done with this novel. (Check out my full review here.)

9. Rebel Rising by Beth Revis: Like Eliza and Her Monsters, I was impressed by this book. I expected it to fall short of my expectations, but there were moments when I realized how important this book was, both for the YA genre and for the Star Wars universe. It made me appreciate Rogue One and Jyn's character more than I originally did. I think Beth Revis did a stellar job with her story.

10. The Evaporation of Sofi Snow by Mary Weber: This book was definitely one of my most anticipated reads at the beginning of the year, and it definitely had me hooked. While I'll never forgive the author for that cliffhanger ending (why must I wait until March for book two? Why?), I thoroughly enjoyed the story, the world-building, and the diverse cast of characters. If you're looking for a science-fiction, conspiracy story filled with aliens, action, and lots of romantic tension, read this book. (Or if you're not looking for that, read it anyways.)

What are your favorite books of 2017 so far?

7 comments:

  1. Looks like you've read some spectacular books so far this year!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:

    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/06/top-ten-tuesday-best-books-ive-read-in.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm excited to see what the rest of 2017 holds for books.

      :)

      Delete
  2. ACOL and The Dark Prophecy were on my list this week too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/27/top-ten-tuesday-113/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Yay! I really enjoyed those titles.

      Delete
  3. AHH THIS LIST IS GLORIOUS!! I absolutely weep with adoration over ACOL and Strange the Dreamer. #writergoals Can we please have some of their writer magic?! ALL THE HEART EYES. I also The Dark Prophecy (why is Rick Riordan always so flawlessly hilarious 😂) and Wires & Neve was excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! YES! #writergoals I need all the writer magic.

      Rick Riordan is flawless. And Wires & Nerve was like coming home. :)

      Delete
  4. Heard some really good things about Eliza and her monsters. I`d also like to begin reading graphic novels, but I don`t know where to start.

    http://www.carmensreadingcorner.co.uk

    ReplyDelete