Friday, June 2, 2017

Comic Book Conglomeration: May

Somehow I've managed to read nine novels this month. Nine. I have no idea how that happened. But that also meant I read less comic books and manga. Because of this I have a stack of Wonder Woman comics waiting to be read. Hopefully I'll get to them soon! Until then, here's what I thought of the comic books I read in May.



Batgirl Vol. 1: Beyond Burnside by Hope Larson and Raphael Albuquerque
I picked up this Batgirl comic because I wanted to read more about this hero. I've seen her in the Batman movies and she was pretty cool in the DC's Bombshell comics, but I really didn't know much about her. Unfortunately, I don't think this was the right comic to read in order to learn more about Batgirl. It wasn't what I expected, and while there were a few aspects here and there I enjoyed, it didn't capture me like other comics have in the past.

Princeless Bk. 1: Save Yourself by Jeremy Whitley and Mia Goodwin
Princeless was recommended to me by a friend. It's a quirky story that takes a different take on the "damsel in distress" and typical fairy tale princess stereotypes. It includes dragons, kick-butt ladies, and a lot of jokes. It was a lot of fun, and I look forward to book two!

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 3: Squirrel, You Really Got Me Now by Ryan North and Erica Henderson
Once again, Doreen Green steals the show. Squirrel Girl is hilarious, and this comic only furthers the hilarity by sending Squirrel Girl back in time! It was fun and full of hilarious dialogue and commentary. I quite enjoyed it, even the strange comic crossover with Howard the Duck. More Squirrel Girl, please!

Spider-Gwen, Vol. 2: Weapon of Choice by  Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez
With every Spider-Gwen comic, the story becomes better. Gwen continues to struggle with being a hero, but she also has the support of her father. I really love that the father-daughter relationship is such a vital part of this comic series. We also see another side to Frank Castle, and we're introduced to more conflict that propels Gwen forward as a hero. It's shaping up to be a good story arc, and I can't wait to read the next volume!

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Five, Vol. 2 by Brian Buccellato
This volume of Injustice was hard to read. A lot of sad stuff occurs, sad on both sides of the divide, and it left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I know that there is a volume three coming out soon, so this isn't the end of the story, but it just makes me sad to watch all the heroes turn on one another, forced to pick sides. The volume was good, though. The stakes were high, the action strong, and the characters crushing.

What comics did you read recently? Any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment