Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Beautiful People: June 2017

It feels like it's been forever since I participated in Beautiful People, but it's only been a few months. I skipped a few of the themed ones because I didn't have any characters that fit the prompts. But this month I'm linking up!


As I looked over the questions, a new-ish character came to mind. I have an inkling of an idea involving a girl and an airplane. I've always been enthralled by the era of airplanes, aviators and aviatrixes, Amelia Earhart, Bessie Coleman, Charles Lindbergh... all of it's just so intriguing. I've always wanted to write about something related. So meet Avis, the main character of a story involving zeppelins, airplanes, and a strong brother-sister bond.

Avis has been dreaming of piloting an airplane her whole life, but airplanes are considered dangerous and only men are allowed in the cockpit. Her brother, Jules, is a pilot and has taught her all about how airplanes work, fueling Avis' dream. So when her brother's airplane goes missing, Avis is determined to find him... even if it means stealing an airplane and taking to the skies by herself. 
It's sort of steampunk-y, sort of altered history, and I think it would make a great story and possibly a gorgeous graphic novel.

The Questions

1. What’s their favorite place they’ve ever visited?
Before they died, Avis' parents took her and Jules to the Grand Canyon one summer. It was the most glorious land she's ever seen, and she couldn't help but daydream about flying above the rocky cliffs and the thundering waters.

2. What’s one mistake they made that they learned from?
She knows better than to sit and wallow in self-pity about her life. She's had a tough life, and her dreams seem far-fetched and out of reach, but she doesn't let that hold her back. She's learned that complaining only gets her a punishment and being sad only makes life unbearable. Instead, she holds her chin up and moves past the pain to focus on what she wants out of life.

3. What was their favorite subject in school? Or favorite thing to learn about?
Her favorite thing to learn about is obviously airplanes, but often school won't talk about it because of how dangerous airplanes are thought to be. Instead, she soaks up history and math, using it to further her own research about airplanes.


4. What’s their favorite flower/growing thing?
If you ask her, she'll tell you the vines that grow along the dorm building of Miss Emma's School for Girls are her favorite because she can easily use them to climb in and out of her dorm room at night. Sentimentally though, she's always loved peonies because they remind her of her grandfather.

5. Have they ever made someone cry? What happened?
Tons of times. She liked to beat up the annoying boys at school and make them cry when she was younger. She'd get in trouble and receive a few raps on the hand with a ruler, but she always thought her punishment was mild compared to what she did to them.

6. Would you consider them a reliable or unreliable narrator?
I think she's reliable. She's truthful and honest, and she doesn't hesitate to speak her mind.

7. What do they dream about at night?
If it's a good dream, she's flying weightless--no airplane, no parachute, just weightless drifting through open skies. If it's a bad dream, she's plummeting from the sky.


8. They’ve gone out for a “special meal.” What would they eat?
The biggest, juiciest steak she can find. And potatoes. She loves potatoes. But she doesn't go out often; only when her brother steals her away from the School for the evening after his shift at the hangar.

9. Do they have any distinguishing or unique talents?
She has a good memory with a knack for remembering random details about things. She's an artist and poet and idles away her hours daydreaming of flying, drawing sketches of it, and writing snippets along her page. She also can climb in and out her dorm room in a matter of moments without making a sound.

10. What’s at least one thing they want to do before they die?
Fly an airplane solo.


Link-up with this month's Beautiful People and tell me about your characters!

All images were found on Pinterest.

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, this story sounds AMAZING! Avis sounds like such a fun character to write! I like how focused she is about achieving her goals (and Jule sounds delightful too). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I discovered a lot about her through the questions, a few things I had no idea about, which was fun to learn.

      Delete
  2. YES! Finally. We NEED NEED NEED books with strong brother/sister bonds.

    Avis sounds like my kind of character. I like that you included the fact that she enjoys math (and sneaks out, even when she isn't supposed to).

    I'm curious about the world too. I wonder how it might diverge from our world's history.

    Please let me know when you finish it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! More sibling relationships, especially brothers and sisters, please! I will write all the brother-sister relationships!

      And yes, Avis does sound like a character you'd enjoy. (At least, I hope she is whenever her story is finished!)

      I have to start it in order to finish... but maybe soon.

      Delete
  3. Airplanes, siblings, and a history & math-loving protagonist? YES! I really love this idea you have here, and Avis sounds like a great character! I like her attitude about self-pity - it sounds like she's the type who perseveres, which is awesome. And I'm glad to hear you're writing about siblings. I feel like brother-sister relationships are underrepresented (or misrepresented), so I'm happy to see someone's writing about them.

    Best of luck as you pursue this idea! It sounds like a fantastic one.

    Maggie's Musings (My BP)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I definitely agree that there are never enough brother-sister relationships, especially good ones.

      :) Thanks for taking the time to read about my ideas and to comment. I appreciate the encouragement!

      Delete
  4. Okay, this story sounds straight up awesome! :D Sibling bonds, steampunk, airplanes? YES PLEASE. (By the way, is her brother's name any reference at all to Jules Verne?) Based on your collages, I agree that this would make a gorgeous graphic novel.

    Avis sounds like an awesome heroine. Dedication, love for her brother, and a little bit of an edge. I think she'd get along with my Prince Hadrian. ;D Thanks again for stopping by Adventure Awaits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think using the name Jules was going to make a reference to Jules Verne, no matter where I originally came up with it. (Though, I did find it on a list of baby names that are oudated and coming back or were popular in the 1920s or something. Buuut yeah, Jules Verne.)

      :) I'll have to swing by and meet Prince Hadrian to find out!

      Delete
    2. LOL, yeah, it's one of those names that people can't help linking to something else! :)

      Actually, you already left a lovely comment about Hadrian when you read my BP post! XD

      Delete