Friday, May 12, 2017

Series Review: Anne of Green Gables Series by L.M. Montgomery

I have a love-hate relationship with classics. Some classics, like Jane Austen's novels or Little House on the Prairie, are my absolute favorites and I will read and re-read them over and over. Others, not so much. Sometimes the stories don't capture me, sometimes the writing is bogged down by old styles, and sometimes I just don't care to read it. But every once and while, I read a classic that hits home. The Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery are some of these classics.


Years ago, I read Anne of Green Gables and fell in love with Prince Edward Island, Gilbert, and of course the spunky, red-haired main character. But I never read the other books. For one, I was young, and classic books became boring after characters grew up. Another thing, I watched the movies, loved those more (don't hate me), and didn't think I needed to read the rest of the books.

But of course, I decided I wanted to read the other books. I wanted to find out when Gilbert and Anne fell in love, what happened after they got married, if the events in the third movie actually happened. (They didn't, at least not to Anne and Gil. It happened with their children, sort of.) I started last year, making my way through each book, and finally finished all eight last week. I technically still have the final book The Road to Yesterday, which is a collection of short stories, to read, but I finished all the books in the main series.

I was so afraid when I read beyond Green Gables that I would be bored or feel disconnected with Anne, who was growing up and learning to hold her tongue. Anne is such a fun character. She has a wild imagination that I understand, and she speaks her mind, which I can only dream of doing. Plus, there's Gilbert--who is, in my opinion, the best literary gentleman to ever exist--and he's just so sweet and caring. I was afraid when they "grew up," he would get boring and not be the dreamboat and kindred spirit Anne (and I) came to love.


I was wrong, though. It seems that no matter how old Anne and Gilbert are, there is still room for adventures and imagination. Somehow, despite the books being written decades ago and taking place over a century ago, I related a lot to what Anne went through as she learned to grow up. She went to college, watched as her friends got married and moved away; she fell in love and discovered what she loved about life. She dealt with loss and life and change.

I also enjoyed reading about their children. They are a rambunctious and unique bunch. Reading about their births, adventures, and growing up was touching. The last book, of course, deals with heavier topics as World War I affects their lives, but it also holds important truths about life. All the books hold important truths, which is why I think I hold them all in such high regard.

Yes, these books are old. Yes, they take place during a different time. And yes, Anne and Gilbert grow up and have children. But they're still good. They're relatable and profound. I've learned a lot from Anne-girl, and I will treasure these books for the rest of my life. I plan to re-read them in about ten years, then twenty years, and so forth and see what else I can glean from these pages.

L.M. Montgomery's books taught me to have an imagination, to make time for adventures, and to know that I don't need sunbursts or marble halls, just scope for the imagination and dreaming, sweet dreaming.
"I don't want sunbursts and marble halls. I just want you. You see I'm quite as shameless as Phil about it. Sunbursts and marble halls  may be all very well, but there is more 'scope for imagination' without them. And as for the waiting, that doesn't matter. We'll just be happy, waiting and working for each other--and dreaming. Oh, dreams will be very sweet now." -Anne to Gilbert, Anne of the Island (229)

Do you have a classic series you hold dear to your heart? Let me know in the comments!

~I chose to review the Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery of my own freewill. All opinions are my own.~

2 comments:

  1. Yes!! I got the whole series recently - maybe a few months ago - and am slowly working my way through them. I love their little world and Anne's personality!! Also Gilbert makes me swoon😻🙌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's awesome. I'm glad you are enjoying them. Anne's personality is great. I wish I could be her friend in real life. And Gilbert... oh, Gilbert. <3

      Delete