Friday, May 5, 2017

Comic Book Conglomeration: April 2017

April went from being a slow, low key month to a hectic whirlwind. A lot happened near the end of the month as I scrambled to finish Camp Nanowrimo and read all those books I checked out from the library. Still, I read quite a few graphic novels during April, and I have to say I think I enjoyed all of them.


Squirrel Girl Vol. 1 and 2 by Ryan North and Erica Henderson
Oh gosh! Squirrel Girl is... obnoxiously hilarious? Absolutely wonderful? Practically perfect in every way? All of the above? Yes, all of the above. I was a little unsure if I could handle a comic about a girl who is part squirrel, but man, oh, man, I was surprised. These comics were a wild ride of squirrel puns (seriously, I laughed so hard), kick-butt action (because she really does save the day), and wonderful shenanigans (Doreen in college is my life). Basically: she's freaking awesome and I'm so stoked that Marvel is putting her in a live-action TV show.

Food Wars Vol. 6-8 by  Yuto Tsukuda and Shun Saeki
I devoured these volumes (pun definitely intended). It's diving into an exciting segment of the manga with a huge cooking competition. I spend most of the time reading these manga drooling over the food and laughing at all the craziness. It's fun.

Hawkeye Vol. 5: All-new Hawkeye by Jeff Lemire and Ramón Pérez
This is the first Hawkeye comic I've read that wasn't written by Matt Fraction, but you know what? It's still just as good, possibly even better. This one had a more serious turn than Fraction's humor, but the artwork and writing is phenomenal. The interlacing of Clint's past and his present stories stole my breath away. I look forward to reading more.

All-new Captain America Vol. 1: Hydra Ascendant by Rick Remender
Ever since they announced that Sam Wilson would take over the Captain america mantle, I've been eagerly waiting to read his comics. Fortunately, I wasn't disappointed. Yes, Sam Wilson is not Steve Rogers--how he saves the day, how he fights, how he chooses what to do is different. But it's also all Sam Wilson. This comic did great showing us Sam's backstory--how he became a hero and why--alongside a present mission that was just as cruel and creepy as any other Captain America story. Also, I'm now a huge fan of Steve Rogers' adopted son Ian, aka Nomad. More of both, please!

Barakamon Vol. 12 by Satsuki Yoshino
I am, and forever will be, Barakamon trash. Honestly, this is one of my favorite mangas simply because of how adorable it is. Still, there are a lot of deeper aspects to this story than one would think looking at the cover artwork or reading the synopsis. This volume especially dived into those deeper elements, making me both smile and tear-up at how these characters relate to one another. Wow.

Attack on Titan Vol. 21 by Hajime Isayama
I FINALLY KNOW WHAT'S IN THE FREAKING BASEMENT. *ahem* Seriously though, this volume was a whirlwind. At every turn, I felt like I got smacked in the face again. This manga deserves all the hype it receives. Everything that occurs within these pages is phenomenal and exciting. It left me with more questions but also anticipating what's next for these courageous characters.

What comics, manga, or graphic novels have you read recently? Share your recommendations in the comments!

~I checked out these titles from my local library and chose to write mini-reviews of each of my own freewill. All opinions are my own.~

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH YOU KNOW WHAT"S IN THE BASEMENT?!!! I JUST FOUND OUT WHO COLOSSAL AND ARMORED TITAN ARE! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I know what's in the basement. (Not everything yet, but the beginning of it.) And yeah, I've known about the Colossal and Armored Titan for a while now (like a year or so?). It's a great plot twist! :)

      Delete