Monday, April 3, 2017

Conglomeration of Comic Books: March 2017

I didn't read quite as many comics books or manga in March as I did in January or February, but I did finish two series that are close to my heart. All in all, March was a good month for comic books.



Handa-kun Vol. 1 by Satsuki Yoshino
This was a new series I started in March, but I have yet to read more than volume one. It's a spin-off, prequel of Barakamon and follows Sensei (or Handa) as he navigates his teenager years. It was absolutely ridiculous, but I freaking adored it. Handa just wants to be left alone, but literally everybody in his school loves him (because his father is famous). His brooding nature only deepens their adoration for him. It's perfect.


DC Super Hero Girls Vol. 1: Finals Crisis by Shea Fontana and Yancey Labat
I somehow made the mistake of reading volume two of the DC Super Hero Girls comics first, so I had to backtrack and read volume one. This volume introduces the girls as mischief and mayhem threaten their school finals. I will never stop recommending these comics to younger girls because their hilarious, exciting, and pretty much awesome. I love the puns and that they include tons of DC characters.

Sherlock: A Study in Pink by Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss, and Jay.
Ever since I read the Manga Classics, I've been eagerly waiting for someone to adapt Sherlock Holmes stories into a manga. So while this manga is an adaptation of the modern Sherlock show, it was still enjoyable. It follows pretty closely with the episode "A Study in Pink," and the artwork is fantastic. I especially liked the variant covers that were done. I hope they adapt more episodes soon!

Big Hero 6 Vol. 2 by Haruki Ueno
I read the first volume of the Big Hero 6 manga forever ago, but I didn't realize there was a second volume. From what I can remember of the film, the manga follows pretty closely to the events. I didn't notice too much was different except maybe the ages of characters or the mini-Baymax at the end (which was utterly adorable). It's a good manga to get kids interested in the manga style and format, especially if they're fans of Big Hero 6.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan Vol. 7-9 by Nagaru Tanigawa
I finished the whole series for The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan, and it was amazing. I love watching Nagato and Kyon interact and all their friends trying to figure out what is going on with them. It's adorable. The ending, however, was a bit unexplained. I didn't expect it to be a firm ending since they're only in high school, but it kind of just... ended. Overall, though, it was a great spin-off story.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Vol. 18-20 by Nagaru Tanigawa
I also finished The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series, and I loved it just as much as Nagato. This series has a lot more to it, and there were quite a few arcs that I enjoyed that have yet to be adapted into anime, so I hope they do those soon. I will definitely miss reading about these characters and all their adventures (or misadventures). There were tons of new concepts and ideas introduced that were super interesting.

What comics have you read lately? Any recommendations for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment