This month I'm going to highlight a character from A Girl and Her Dragon. As I attempt to rewrite and edit this mess of a novel, I've realized there are some characters I still need to get to know better, so Beautiful People is the perfect opportunity to do that. Gilbert is one of these characters. He's the best friend/cousin of Killian, the prince of Greene. He's also a knight and likes to follow the rules. But he's a precious cinnamon roll, and apparently, he has a lot more hiding beneath his appearance.
Here are the questions:
What’s their favorite book/movie/play/etc.?
This world doesn't have movies, and while they have "play-esque" performances from time to time, it's not anything that's specific. His favorite book, however, is a storybook his mother gave to him when he was young that was about a brave knight that rode dragons instead of killing them.
Is there anything they regret doing?
Being alive. No, really. Gilbert is basically a disgrace to his family's name. He doesn't know who is father is, and his mother refused to tell anybody anything about his identity. Gilbert's unplanned birth shamed his mother and excluded them both from royal lineage. Even if Killian and all his siblings die, Gilbert would have no right to the throne because of his "tainted" blood. And everybody in the kingdom knows it.
So Gilbert wonders how his mother's life would have been different had he never been born. Would she still be alive to sing and pull pranks? Would she have been happier? He feels guilty for existing.
If they were sick or wounded, who would take care of them and how?
He probably would trust himself the most, but if he physically couldn't attend to his own wounds, he would enlist the nearest military medic or the castle's physician.
Is there an object they can’t bear to part with and why?
A ring that was once his father's (according to his mother). She always wore it, and when she passed, she gave it to him. He holds tight to it because a part of him believes it could lead him to his father someday.
What are 5 ways to win their heart (or friendship)?
I'm going to list ways to win his friendship because Gilbert doesn't usually win hearts (because Killian continuously steals them from him).
- Be honest: Gilbert values honesty above almost anything. If you can't be honest, he won't want to be your friend.
- Be fun: While his outward demeanor might squash any attempts at having fun, inside Gilbert secretly wishes he could be as open and frivolous as others, especially Killian. The biggest reason he and Killian share such a close friendship is because Killian is constantly getting both of them in trouble. But Gilbert doesn't mind because he is having fun.
- Be loyal: Gilbert also values loyalty--to the kingdom, to the royal family, to his friends. If someone isn't loyal, he doesn't want to associate with them.
- Be supportive: Gilbert doesn't want friends just to hang out with. He wants friends that challenge one another to become better, he wants friends that support one another in all their endeavors. He is constantly pushing Killian to be better, and he wishes Killian would support him just as much.
- Be understanding: Gilbert has been treated differently because of the stigma associated with his parentage. But he knows that is only a part of him, and he wishes people could understand that there is more to him than what runs through his blood. He always treats people with understanding--trying to figure out why people act in a certain way or who they are beyond what they look like or what their past says--and he wants others to do the same for him.
Describe a typical outfit for them from top to bottom.
Everything he wears is perfect with no creases or rumples. Every hair on his head is in place. He usually is in the standard uniform for the Guard, which consists of pants, a tucked-in tunic, boots, and sometimes a jacket or cloak. If he's on duty, he'll wear armor or chain mail and have weapons at the ready.
This isn't exactly right, but it's pretty so I'm putting it here.
What’s their favorite type of weather?
A clear, blue day without a cloud in the sky and with the sun shining bright. These days were always a favorite for his mother, and she used to take him out for picnics or to make wishes on dandelion puffs. Those days remind him of the best of her.
What’s the worst fight they’ve ever been in?
Due to his service in the Guard, he's been in a lot of fights. But the worst, in his opinion, was when Killian fought him out of anger. Upset that Gilbert was leaving him, Killian lunged at him, and they wrestled. Gilbert never wants to see Killian like that again--his entire face full of rage, his eyes full of hatred. Ever since, something has been off in their friendship. They're still close, but there is a measure of distance dragging between them.
What names or nicknames have they been called throughout their life?
His mother called him Gil, and Killian often calls him that too. But he's also been called "bastard" or "son of a whore" and other derogatory terms. He'd been given some teasing nicknames during his training service with the Guard as well.
What makes their heart feel alive?
This one is hard. Gilbert doesn't like to open up lot; he likes to hide things deep. But I think he feels the most alive when he's painting--the quiet solace of the moment makes him feel alive--or when he's off running about on a crazy adventure with Killian. He would never instigate such shenanigans himself, but when Killian drags him along, he can't help but feel the sense of truly living as they're running away from danger or trouble.
Did you participate in Beautiful People? Join us here!