Friday, February 24, 2017

Comic Book Conglomeration: February 2017


Surprisingly, I completed three novels and started a fourth this past month, which is... kind of a record lately. And I still managed to read a lot of comic books and manga. I've been working my way through a few series, so I'll keep the ones I've already highlighted brief. Here's what I read starting at the end of January and through this week of February.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan by Nagaru Tanigawa
I read more of volumes of these two series this month, and I'm almost finished with both. (I'm just waiting for the last few volumes to come in at the library.) I still adore them, and the story arcs never cease to amuse me. There are a lot of Haruhi arcs that I don't recognize from the anime, which is exciting because that might mean they could make a season three. (Please?) Nagato is as adorable as ever, and I can hardly contain myself while reading. I'm not allowed to read these in public because of how embarrassing I act about the events.

Marvel Universe Doctor Strange by Marvel Comics
I put this comic book on hold from the library f o r e v e r ago, before the Doctor Strange movie even came out. (I know. Wow.) Still, it was enjoyable and quirky. Doctor Strange teams up with a lot of heroes to get stuff done, so it was fun to see him interact with Spider-Man and the Hulk as well as Captain America. It's not the best comic, but it's still good. It can be confusing though, so sometimes I had no idea what was happening.

Loki Agent of Asgard, Vol. 2 and 3 by Al Ewing
The second volume of Loki: Agent of Asgard disappointed me. Everything I loved about volume one was gone, and it felt... boring and sad. A lot of the events branched off from other Marvel comics I hadn't read, so some of it was hard to follow. (The downside of comics, I suppose.) Volume 3, however, was much better and made me feel more confident about the series as a whole. There were a lot of elements mixed in that I loved (like Hot Loki is back and we were introduced to Female Loki, who was fun). Plus, the conclusion to the arc was solid and amazing. Go Team Loki!?

DC Super Hero Girls, Vol. 2 by Shea Fontana
So, I heard that DC Super Hero Girls was a show and now a comic, and I had to give it a chance. And by golly, I'm glad I did. This comic was so fun and had soooo many things I loved. Unfortunately, I read volume 2 instead of 1 (how did that happen?), so now I have to go back and read the first volume. Still, it's a great series for a younger generation of girls to be introduced to the female superheroes of DC Comics. Seriously, DC, you did good with this one. Keep it up.

Barakamon, Vol. 10-11 by Satsuki Yoshino
Barakamon is one of my favorite manga/anime ever. It's definitely in my top five--scratch that, top three, right alongside Library Wars and Haruhi. It's adorable and ornery and just stinking fun. There are crazy kids, calligraphy art, and wild island adventures. Plus, an entire cast of characters that are unique and endearing. I've been waiting months to read the latest volumes, and I can't wait to read more in the future. This is another series I am not allowed to read in public due to my embarrassing reactions. It's so freaking cute.

Wires and Nerve by Marissa Meyer
Easily one of my most anticipated reads of the year, Wires and Nerve returned me to the Lunar Chronicles world and swept me away once more. There are so many things I loved about this graphic novel, and I am so freaking glad that Marissa Meyer ventured into this book format. I loved the illustrations, the characters, and the story line, especially since it follows Iko but also inter-laces with the adventures of the other beloved Lunar Chronicles characters. (Also, I totally ship Iko and Kinney. I'm stoked to see how that turns out because right now, it's flipping hilarious.) The Pinocchio vibes from Iko's story line are splendid. I can't wait for volume two. (What, I have to wait an entire year? No!) Reading Wires and Nerve was like coming home but also stepping off on a new adventure. It was more than I could ever have hoped for.


What comics have you read lately? Any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment