Friday, January 6, 2017

Most Anticipated Reads of 2017 + Reading Goals


As always, a new year means more new book releases and plenty of reading goals to make. I thought last year had a lot of books I was excited to read, but 2017 is shaping up to have just as many--if not more--books I desperately need to read. (Yes, need.) And these are just the ones I'm aware of! (As always, if you click the book cover image, it'll take you to Goodreads where you can read the synopsis or add it to your TBR pile.)

Books
Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth
Publication date: January 17, 2017

As you know, I wasn't a huge fan of Divergent. I found a lot of problems with the series, and I even plan to make a list of how to fix said problems (or just rewrite the entire series for kicks and giggles). Still, I'm intrigued by this new science-fiction duology. (Don't you just love the concept of duology? It gives you more time than a stand-alone, but isn't annoying like trilogies.) I already put it on hold from the library, so we'll see.

Caraval by Stephanie Garber
Publication date: January 31, 2017

Caraval was recommended to me by a friend who received and read an ARC last fall. Before that though, I had my eye on it because the cover is gorgeous and the synopsis was intriguing. I'm excited to read a new author this year!

Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza
Publication date: February 7, 2017

I'm always looking for more YA science-fiction. It never seems enough. Empress of a Thousand Skies looks promising, and the cover is gorgeous. More space operas, please!

Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones
Publication date: February 7, 2017

I almost forgot this book existed until I started looking at upcoming 2017 releases. I don't know much about it, but it sounds delightful. Plus a few authors I love have read it and recommended it, so bonus!

A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab
Publication date: February 21, 2017

Saying I desperately need to read this book is an understatement. I finished A Gathering of Shadows (book 2) a few weeks ago, and I've been dying ever since. I need answers! And I need my favorite characters back (which is all of them). And I need them all to be safe and protected. I just need this... now.

The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan
Publication date: May 2, 2017

The Dark Prophecy continues the Trials of Apollo, and I'm excited. I'm also worried because the title concerns me, and Apollo, despite being a god, needs to be protected at all costs!

Beren and Luthien by J.R.R. Tolkien
Publication date: May 4, 2017

If Tolkien's name is on it, I probably want to read it. This is the book we've been waiting for someone to restore and release for public eyes. I just hope it's amazing. (Who am I kidding? This is Tolkien we're talking about; it'll be more than amazing.)

The Evaporation of Sofi Snow by Mary Weber
Publication date: June 6, 2017

After the Storm Siren trilogy, I will basically read anything Mary Weber writes. Which is exciting because her newest book is going to be science-fiction novel! Yay, more outer space! The cover and synopsis intrigue me, so I need to read it.

Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo
Publication date: August 29, 2017

Last year it was announced that Leigh Bardugo and several other authors had been chosen to write YA novels about favorite superheroes like Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman. I was stoked to learn Leigh Bardugo was chosen for Wonder Woman. I have so much faith that she will do wonders to Wonder Woman's story. Plus, this means I get a Wonder Woman movie and a Wonder Woman novel written by a favorite author. It's wonderful.

The Ship of the Dead by Rick Riordan
Publication date: October 3, 2017
After the end of The Hammer of Thor, I need the third Magnus Chase book now. I adore the characters and the Norse mythology. It's fun and adventurous and just perfect. Please, I need it.

Untitled Illuminae Files by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Publication date: October 2017
This book doesn't have a title or a cover or a synopsis, but I need it. After reading Gemina, I need to know more about what craziness is happening and what the third book will entail. I'm excited. These books are so fun!

The Gatlon School for Vigilantes by Marissa Meyer
Publication date: November 7, 2017
I barely know anything about this book except it involves superheroes and it's written by Marissa Meyer. Basically: sign me up! It sounds just like my type of book. Also, I told Marissa how excited I was about this, and she was just as excited as me.

Comic books
As always, I have to make room for comic books and graphic novels on my list. There are tons of favorites that will receive more volumes this year like Ms. Marvel and the Lumberjanes, and there are many characters receiving new series like Jessica Jones and the Guardians of the Galaxy. However, there are a few I'm looking forward to more-so than others.

Wires and Nerve Vol. 1 by Marissa Meyer
Publication date: January 31, 2017
I was stoked to learn Marissa Meyer was diving into the graphic novel genre, and that they would be about characters from The Lunar Chronicles. I'm so excited to learn more about Iko and what happened after Winter.

Civil War II by Brian Michael Bendis (and others)
Publication date: February 14, 2017
While the Civil War II story arc were released as single issues in 2016, we're getting the full compilation this year. Like the first Civil War event, there will probably be multiple volumes out for all the characters involved as well as the main story arc. I'll probably try to get as many as I can and read them altogether. It's going to be great, and also sad. Very, very sad.

Hawkeye by Kelly Thompson
Publication date: May 16, 2017
Repeat after me: Kate Bishop gets her own comic series. Kate Bishop gets her own comic series! I don't even care what it's about, just shut up and take my money! (Or library card.)

Infamous Iron Man by Brian Michael Bendis
Publication date: June 13, 2017
This is another twist to the traditional Iron Man mantle. Instead of Tony Stark, Victor von Doom (Yes, Doctor Doom) is Iron Man. The concept is intriguing, and I'm curious to how it will all turn out.

Invincible Iron Man: Iron Heart by Brian Michael Bendis
Publication date: July 14, 2017
I'm stoked for the new Invincible Iron Man because this comic features a female Iron Man, Riri Williams. How cool is that? I love that Marvel is revamping well-known superhero mantles as female characters.

Bookish Goals
I've decided to set up a few "goals" for 2017 as I dive into new titles:
  • My reading goal on Goodreads is 150 books, but I hope I surpass that. 
  • I'm listening through the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. I never finished it, and I want to find out what happens in the end. These books stole my middle school years and are the reason I write about dragons, so...
  • Every year I try to re-read a favorite book series from my childhood, and since I didn't finish Anne of Green Gables series yet (two more books!), I want to finish those books and also re-read the Wrinkle in Time Quintet. (Isn't "quintet" just so lovely?)
  • I also have a lot of books I own that I've never read, and I want to try to read as many as I can. (Last time I counted, I owned about 80 un-read books... geez...)
  • There are several series I've started but have yet to finish, and I'd like to catch up on those (as long as they are worth finishing).
  • I want to read a few classics. (Suggestions?)
I don't have any concrete ideas right now for other goals or reading challenges, but I'll keep you updated as they come along and I'll continue reviewing books and comics as I read them!

What books are you most excited to read in 2017?

1 comment:

  1. These are good goals! And that's so cool that the Tale of Beren and Luthien is being published as its own book! Oh and Leigh Bardugo writing a superhero novel is so cool too! My goal is only 25 books this year. I tried 35 last year and failed so I'm bringing it down to something more manageable for me. XD Happy 2017!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete