Friday, January 27, 2017

Comic Book Conglomeration: January 2017


January has been a whirlwind. I can't believe it's almost over already. (*screams into void*) Anyways, I've still somehow managed to read a lot of graphic novels in the past month. (Though at one point I was being buried alive by books I checked out from the library. I don't have a problem.) Because of writing goals and such for this year, I decided to make things easier on me by reserving the last Friday of each month to discuss any comics, manga, and graphic novels I read during that month. So instead of numbering these Comic Book Conglomerations, they'll be labeled with months! Yay!

Here's what I read at the end of December and through most of January.


Gotham Academy Vol. 1-2 by Becky Cloonan, Brenden Fletcher, Karl Kerschl
These comics follow the lives of students at Gotham Academy, so while most of the characters are new, they do cross over with several Batman characters (including Damien Wayne and Killer Croc). At first, I wasn't sure I liked it, but by the end of volume 1, I was intrigued, and by the end of volume 2, I loved it. The characters and the academy's spooky history are what make these comics worth reading. Plus, Maps is so adorable. I want to be her. (And of course, there's Damien Wayne...)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya Vol. 3-11 by  Nagaru Tanigawa, Noizi Ito, Gaku Tsugano
I started reading this manga a few years ago, but I never got passed volume 2. The story line was super bizarre and confusing. However, I watched the anime and fell in love with everything (and learned that it's confusing because none of the story arcs in order, not even for the anime). So I decided to read all of them since there are only twenty volumes. It's been so adorable and fun and exciting to reunite with the characters. If you like quirky characters, crazy adventures, and aliens, time-travelers, or espers: read these. (Or better yet, go watch the anime!)

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan Vol. 1-3 by Nagaru Tanigawa, PUYO
This manga takes place in a parallel universe that is loosely connected to one of the Haruhi Suzimiya arcs. But basically, it's adorable, and I am Nagato. And I just want her to be happy and stay cute. It's wonderful, but it'll be super confusing if you don't read the Haruhi manga first.

Manga Classics: Jane Eyre by Stacy King, SunNeko Lee, Crystal S. Chan, Charlotte Brontë
I've never read Jane Eyre, but I'm familiar with the story line (and I've seen almost every adaptation made). But I love the Manga Classic series. It's thrilling to see well-known stories captured in a new way. And the manga style is gorgeous with the time periods. Basically, it's a shorter, wonderfully illustrated version of the novel. And I want more. Always more.

Attack on Titan Before the Fall Vol. 9 by Hajime Isayama, Ryô Suzukaze, Satoshi Shiki
I've been reading this manga for a while now. It's good, but it's not great. I'm intrigued even to continue it. I want to learn about Kuklo and how they gain knowledge about the titans. It just takes forever for the next volume to come out in English that I forget what happens. All I know is the ending of volume 9 was sad! Please give these characters a happy ending somehow. (Shh, I know, I know. My hope for them is far-fetched because this is a prequel.)

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year 5, Vol. 1 by Brian Buccellato
Injustice started off insanely interesting, but the last few volumes kind of dragged on and I didn't seem to care about anything going on anymore. However, Year 5 changed that. For some reason, this volume was just so much better. I don't think it's because Harley Quinn called Killer Frost "Evil Elsa" or because Damien Wayne was at the forefront of the action, but... maybe it was. It was just stellar. I'm impressed. Please bring me the final volume. Now.

DC Comics: Bombshells, Vol. 2: Allies by Marguerite Bennett, Marguerite Sauvage
This comic continues to be awesome. It's about the ladies of DC Comics kicking Nazi butt and taking names. It's full of puns, heartbreak, action, and the empowerment of women. What's not to love? Sometimes I had a hard time following the panel spreads, which was annoying but overall, that didn't take away from the story being told. I would totally watch a movie that featured this universe.

Attack on Titan Vol. 20 by Hajime Isayama
So Attack on Titan has been ruining my life for the past three years now. I need answers. Lots of answers. And it's been AGONIZING to wait for the English translation. I'm slowly shriveling up inside due to how long it takes between volumes. Anyways, I've had trouble keep track of what's been happening because of waiting, but this manga ruined me. It has ruined me. And I will never forgive the author if what I think happened just happened. I am ruined. RUINED. I literally almost threw the book across the room (but it's a library book, and well, precioussss). But I was internally screaming and just WHAT HAPPENED. I NEED ANSWERS. (Breathe. Breathe.) I need the next volume now!

What comics, manga, or graphic novels have you read recently?

~I checked out copies of each book from my local library and chose to share my thoughts of my own free will.~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment