Friday, December 9, 2016

Comic Book Conglomeration #7

After Nanowrimo ended and I finally finished reading a book I've been waiting ages for (Okay, it was only a year), I checked out about four comic books from the library. And then a few more. I haven't read through the entire stack, but I've finished a couple. Here's what I thought.


Lumberjanes Vol.3: A Terrible Plan by Noelle Stevenson and Shannon Watters

Have I told you how much I love the Lumberjanes series? There are so many reasons this series rocks, and I've only just begun. The characters, the adventure, the magic, the intrigue--I love it all. It's so fun! And hilarious. And ridiculous.

(I mean, there are dinosaurs and a shape-shifting bear lady and oh my goodness, real and genuine female friendship. *gasp*)

The adventures are exciting, the characters are lovable, and the concept is endearing. Please, just go read these graphic novels.

Attack on Titan: Before the Fall Vol. 8 by Hajime Isayama

My biggest problem with manga is that it takes forever for the serialized volumes to be released in America. Thus if I'm actually caught up with a series (at least caught up in the sense of legal publications), I wait a long time to read the next chapters and I forget anything important that happened. With Attack on Titan: Before the Fall, I forgot so much what happened I started reading volume 6 and then 7 before I realized I had already read them.

This manga isn't bad, but it's not good. I like the characters and watching bits of Attack on Titan lore unfold, but I can't keep track of what is happening and what people are doing. I probably should just wait until the entire series is finished (When?!) and read them all at once like I did with Fullmetal Alchemist last year (*sniffles*). But until then, I will probably continue to read, hope I remember what happens, and just fawn over Kuklo's face. He's glorious.

Young Avengers Vol. 1: Style > Substance by Kieron Gillen

I think this comic was recommended to me by a friend (or the back of another comic book)It's been a while since I added it to my "to-read" list, so I wasn't sure what to expect when I read it. I know I've read at least one Young Avengers comic previously, probably for Civil War, but I can't recall exactly which of the heroes were there and which weren't. (Some of them were familiar). By the end of the volume though, I was pretty excited.

First off, the Young Avengers are a ragtag group of kids trying to save the world. That's one of my favorite kinds of groups. Second, there is a lot of diversity and history with these characters that flesh out the story and give the plot interesting twists. I enjoyed watching it all unfold, even though it was kind of bizarre. Plus, you've got Kate Bishop. Kate Bishop is the best. You can't go wrong with her. And you get Baby!Loki (Okay, he's Teenager!Loki) from the Agent of Asgard comics. I love him. He's great. His jokes and internal dialogue and everything is great. And there's Billy... mhmm... Billy.

Anyways, it was a fun comic, and I already have volume two in my stack to read. I'm excited to dive deeper into the Young Avengers story arc. And can I please order a Netflix show while I'm at it? Please?

What comics have you read recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment