Friday, November 25, 2016

Comic Book Conglomeration #6

Sometimes in the midst of Nanowrimo and other November events, it's nice to take a moment to read a comic book and relax my mind. Here are three graphic novels I've read recently.



Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona

Last spring, I read a comic about the Runaways--a ragtag group of kids with superpowers and a velociraptor. It was fun, but I realized that comic wasn't the first so I was a little confused on all the characters. So I decided to read Vol. 1 to figure everything out.

The story line itself wasn't what I was expecting, though I didn't really know what to expect since I hadn't read much about them. Still, it was fun. It was definitely an adventure, and every single one of the kids was an absolute joy to meet. The six kids accidentally discover their parents committing murder and determine their parents are supervillains! This starts them off on a runaway expedition to uncover the truth, which leads to a pet Raptor, "tinkerbell" powers, and a whole lot of hilarious jokes.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first volume of this superhero group. I loved the sly references to DC Comics, like Batman and Kryptonite. (Smooth, Marvel, smooth.) It was entertaining, and I will definitely read more. If you like an adventure story with jokes, craziness, and a group of teens ready to save the world, pick up this comic. You won't be disappointed.

Attack on Titan: Lost Girls, Vol. 1 by Hajime Isayama

Lost Girls Vol. 1 follows Annie Leonhart (from Attack on Titan) in the days leading up to the 57th Expedition Outside the Walls (highlight for AoT spoiler: when she turns into the female titan to try to seize Eren). Overall, I thought this manga was okay. It wasn't necessarily great, but it was interesting. I was hoping that the entire series was going to be about Annie and her backstory, but it's not. Instead, each volume will highlight a different female character from Attack on Titan.

That being said, the manga itself wasn't bad; it just wasn't what I was expecting or wanted. Annie is still pretty cool. She kicks butt, and we get to see inside her head for a while (even getting glimpses of her childhood and training). This manga revealed a side of Annie we don't see in the main manga.

I think if you're a fan of Attack on Titan, you would enjoy reading this and seeing an expansion of the world you already know. I love the idea of a manga that highlights the female characters, so I'm definitely going to read the next one (which is about Mikasa!!!). I just wish there was more on Annie here. Perhaps they will return to her later in the series.

Manga Classics: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, Stacy King, and Poe Tse

It's difficult to rate a manga that is an adaptation of a story I already know. Mainly because the story line is exactly like the original book. I adore Jane Austen's novels, however, so I was interested to read the manga adaptation. While it follows the same story line as the original novel, the artwork was absolutely gorgeous.

Sense and Sensibility isn't my favorite Austen novel, but I think this manga adaptation did a fantastic job bringing the story to life with a new artistic approach. It has the spirit of the original novel but includes breathtaking panels and spread. (I appreciate how the two sisters were designed.)

If you like Sense and Sensibility or you're looking to read it but aren't a fan of classic novels, I would encourage you to read this adaptation. It's thicker than most manga, but it's still an easy, fast read. I would honestly read any classics these artists would adapt into manga. Where are my Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and Frankenstein manga?

What comics have you read lately? What's your favorite adaptation of a classic novel?

No comments:

Post a Comment