Friday, November 11, 2016

Audiobook Review: Star Wars The Force Awakens by Alan Dean Foster

Ever since Star Wars: The Force Awakens released in theaters, I've thought about reading Star Wars books again. I did a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away?) when I was young. I demolished all the Jedi Knight and Jedi Quest books. I read tons and tons of the children's Star Wars books. But there are so many. So a few months ago, I started at the beginning--the chronological beginning--and told myself I wanted to read all the books under the "Legends" heading in chronological order. It was a terrible decision, but I'm going to keep trying.

But I took a break from that list--that forever long list--and decided to read the novelization of The Force Awakens. I've been told it contains a lot of interesting scenes and bits of dialogue that weren't in the movie. (*peers around suspiciously*) But sometimes I have too many books to read. So, I checked out the audiobook from my library.


I've listened to quite a few audiobooks in the last year, and almost none of them have music of special effects. (No, the weirdo songs in A Series of Unfortunate of Events does not count!) So it was delightful to pop in the first CD and hear not only familiar Star Wars music, but special effects from the film such as BB-8 beeping or ships flying or lightsabers humming. It was brilliant. Maybe all Star Wars audiobooks are all like this and I'm just missing out.


While the writing isn't the most stellar, it was still fun to listen to (especially on an eight-hour drive). The narrator, Marc Thompson, was great. He did iconic voices fairly well but also had his own voice for the narration parts. I enjoyed his voice-acting ability.

There was a lot of moments--dialogue, scenes, etc.--that made me stop and clutch my car's steering wheel with excitement. There are things that are enlightening about this book and the theories fluttering around the Internet. I am considering reading the print version just so I can see these moments with my eyes. (And maybe take pictures or make notes or do research or something. You know, nothing huge. Or crazy. Nope. No.)


Overall, the audiobook of Star Wars: The Force Awakens was an exciting, enjoyable ride. It follows the movie, obviously, but also reveals a few other tidbits as well. I think it's worth your time if you like Star Wars as much as I do. (Which is a lot.)

Also, from here on out, I should just listen to Star Wars audiobooks instead of read them. It's much more thrilling.


Which Star Wars books are you favorite? Do you like to listen to audiobooks?

No comments:

Post a Comment