Friday, October 14, 2016

Comic Book Conglomeration #5

For the past several years, I've made reading goals via Goodreads. This year, my goal is to read 150 books! Which is a lot. But I'm only seven books away from that goal, and it's only October! Huzzah. Reading comic books helps reach that goal faster. Here are the last three comic books I read.


Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 1 by James Patterson 
I've actually read this before. A long time ago. Back when I actually cared about this book series. But I only read like the first three volumes and there are nine out with more on the way. It follows the books pretty well from what I can remember: six genetically engineered "bird kids" off to save the world from the big bad wolves and terrible experimentation. 

I think I enjoy the manga adaptations better. It cuts out a lot of the unnecessary stuff and gets straight to the point. Also: Fang's hair. It's all about Fang's long, luscious locks. (Excuse me while I go turn back into a 12 year-old fangirl.) Manga-nizing any character makes them 100% more adorable. Gazzy's big eyes slay me every time. And I love that Max doesn't look like a perfect supermodel like the covers of the novels portray. (One of the many, many things wrong with the Maximum Ride series.) Plus the manga starts from the beginning so I haven't gotten to the point where it turns terrible, cliche, predictable, and boring. Huzzah!

Loki: Agent of Asgard, Vol. 1: Trust Me by Al Ewing
This comic is... hilarious. And wonderful. Loki, God of Mischief, died and came back as a child known as Kid Loki.(So clever, I know.) Now he's "grown up" and has become an agent of the All-Mother. Along the way, Loki tries to make up for his past self's actions by doing good (well, relatively good), which was interesting to say the least. 

First: Oh, no. He's hot. This is like a 20-something version of Loki who is borderline hipster Nico D'Angelo. Basically, I love it. Second: his wacky sense of humor and ability to trick anybody--even an entire tower full of Avengers--made this comic super fun and enjoyable. I laughed a lot. Third: I expected this to be weird or cheesy or to fall flat, but it didn't. The plot actually came full circle and tied together nicely. Of course, this is only volume one so there's more to come. And I'm excited. This was perfectly Loki. 

DC Comics: Bombshells Vol. 1 by Marguerite Bennett
What would happen if the female heroes of DC fought on the front lines of World War II? That's basically what DC Bombshells is all about. The super powered heroines--Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Supergirl, Harley Quinn, Catwoman, and more--are called to the front lines of the war to basically kick butt and do awesome things. 

I was intrigued by this comic but also wary it would be too... fanservice-y? But it wasn't. It was awesome. Supergirl and Stargirl are Night Witches--badass Russian pilots. Wonder Woman helps the British and dresses like Rosie the Riveter. Zatanna is a showgirl under female Joker's (?) regime. Batwoman plays baseball and fights crime (at the same time). Catwoman is mixed in with the Nazis. And Harley Quinn is flying airplanes while singing Christmas carols?! Yes, yes she is. 

Basically, this was a super unique twist for an alternate history/earth story line. It's focused solely on female characters (with the exception of John Constantine, who has been turned into a bunny) and their superpowers, and it also incorporates historical aspects. There were a few things that put me off, but for the most part, this was interesting. I'm looking forward to more. I can't promise it'll be the most spectacular comic, but it has a gripping concept. 

What comics have you read lately?

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome on the Goodreads goal! I dropped my goal from 150 to 120 and I'm still behind *sobs*
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete