Friday, October 28, 2016

Book Review: Gris Grimly's Frankenstein

The last Friday in October is affectionately known as "Frankenstein Friday" to celebrate the birth of Frankenstein and its creator Mary Shelley. The world would be a different place without Shelley's book, which not only created the genre of science-fiction but has also influenced pop culture and the idea of what makes a monster.

For Frankenstein Friday, I decided to read Gris Grimly's Frankenstein. This graphic novel adaptation takes the original text of Shelley and assembles it seamlessly with Gris Grimly's original artwork to tell the tale of Victor Frankenstein and his monstrous creation.


I've read the original novel of Frankenstein and the Classic Comics graphic novel adaptation, but I think Gris Grimly's version is by far my favorite. The artwork is startling. It has the perfect blend of quirky, steampunk, and ghoulish to truly depict the horrors of the tale. It reminds me a bit of Tim Burton's style (which now makes me want a Tim Burton film of Frankenstein that follows the book), but at the same time, it has its own style that can't be compared. I presume this style is all Gris Grimly. By far, my favorite spreads are when the Creature tells his story. It consists of simple panels in black and white with almost no text, yet it poetically depicts the Creature's journey in the world.

I like that he kept true to the book and actually used the original text to weave the story. He kept what I think are the most important aspects--ones often overlooked due to the films and pop culture references--such as the Creature's intelligence and sympathetic nature, Frankenstein's monstrous persona, and the Gothic tone. These, more than anything, are what make Frankenstein memorable and worth reading.


If anybody is unsure about reading the original novel due to the style of story-telling or narration, I would highly recommend they pick up Gris Grimly's Frankenstein instead. It blends wondrous artwork and original text to bring Frankenstein and his Creature to life in a new way. I'm definitely going to read more of Gris Grimly's work.

Have you read Frankenstein? What other Gothic stories are you favorites?

I checked out Gris Grimly's Frankenstein from my local library and chose to write an open and honest review of my own will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment