Friday, September 30, 2016

Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children Series by Ransom Riggs

When books are adapted into films, I prefer reading the book before I watch the movie. It doesn't always happen, but I try my best to do so because I want to imagine the story before seeing someone else's interpretation.

Thus when I heard Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was being adapted into a film, I wanted to read the books first. I had heard of the book a while ago (honestly, who couldn't remember that cover and the vintage photos), but I just now got around to reading the whole series. While reviews of the movie had arrived with some mixed results, I still look forward to watching the movie. But for now, here's what I thought of each book.

Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series follows Jacob, who learns that he is peculiar--a person with a special ability--and that peculiardom is on the brink of destruction due to the hollowgasts and wights. As Jacob and the other peculiar children try to save the peculiar world, they encounter many other peculiar people and animals while being hunted by those who want to destroy them.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Book #1)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children follows Jacob as he travels to a remote island in Wales to find closure after his grandfather's death. There, he stumbles upon this strange world of peculiar children--children who knew his grandfather--at Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Jacob learns his grandfather was peculiar, and he is peculiar too.

I enjoyed this story. It certainly wasn't perfect. The beginning was a bit slow and not at all what I was expecting. The entire story wasn't at all like I was expecting to be honest. The old photographs were sometimes creepy, sometimes just weird. This book wasn't exactly creepy though. It was more fantasy/super powers than creepy. But overall, the story was easy to follow and the characters were intriguing. It had an interesting twist with the pictures, and it was super creative and unique. I know that the ending left me wanting to continue because my entire Goodreads review is simply: "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

Rating: 5/5 (Mainly because I love Emma.)

The Hollow City (Book #2)

The Hollow City starts right where the second left off. Jacob and the other peculiar children have to escape from the wights that are chasing them and head to the peculiar capital of the world in order to warn others that the wights are closing in. 

When I started this book, I heard from others that it wasn't as good as the first one, but I found myself enjoying it. It's not the same story, so of course it will be different. The story expands into a bigger plot and a bigger scope. Suddenly it's not just one kid trying to figure out the missing pieces of his grandfather's past; now, it's a struggle to save the entire peculiar world. 

I think the bigger scope escalated the excitement factor for this book. Everything expanded. And the pictures were less creepy and more intriguing. This book propelled me to read the third book because I truly felt this story deserved the description of "peculiar."


The Library of Souls (Book #3)

The Library of Souls concludes the trilogy and Jacob's quest to save the peculiar world. And that's about all I can tell you without including spoilers.

For the most part, I enjoyed this book too. It opened up yet another side of the peculiar world, and it brought together a lot of threads from the other two books to be wrapped up in this one. It was a fun, adventurous story with a lot of crazy stuff and interesting aspects. The ending of the book kind of left me a little disappointed because it went in a direction that felt unnecessary and a waste of a few pages. At the same time, it wrapped up too nicely and neatly. I want the characters to get mostly what they want and to end somewhat happy, but it just felt weird and too much. But I guess, it's not my book; I didn't write the ending. And that didn't ruin the whole series. 


Tales of the Peculiar (Book #0.5)

Tales of the Peculiar is mentioned in the main trilogy as a story book about other peculiars from the past. It's a collection of short stories about peculiars. I didn't expect much of it, but it was an interesting addition to the peculiar world. It didn't take long to read at all.

The cover and artwork were the best part--absolutely gorgeous. The stories were bizarre, but none of them were memorable. We did get the full giant tale that's featured in The Hollow City. I think fans of the trilogy will probably want to read this. It was entertaining.


Overall though, these books were fun to read and such, but they didn't leave any lasting impressions in my mind. I'm glad I read them, but I don't think I will ever go back and re-read them. They just aren't the types of books to re-read. I would definitely read more books by Ransom Riggs though.

Have you read any Miss Peregrine books? What are you currently reading now?

No comments:

Post a Comment