Monday, September 26, 2016

Beautiful People: September 2016


As always, I have delayed my participation in Beautiful People until the last week. Someday I will get around to doing Beautiful People earlier in the month, but it is not this day!


Since I'm working on the next chapter for the forthcoming serial story (read: should be writing but currently am not writing), I decided to give my muse a little inspiration by answering these questions about Ryker. You've met him recently, and I guess I can't shake off my newfound love for him yet.


Here are Septembers questions!

1. How did you come up with this character?
A friend invited me to join her in writing a serial story, so I had to come up with a few characters to add to this new world we started building. I've always loved friendships with a large age gap, so I knew I wanted to have that be my focused characters. After a lot of research with names, I narrowed down my choice to Ryker, which incidentally means "rich." As you know, Ryker kind of lives day-to-day; he's poor. So I thought having a "rich" name would be fitting. Pinterest helped me develop the rest, such as what he looked like and what he wore (and how much of a sad, poor baby he is). As we developed the world, more of who he is fell into place.

2. Have they ever been starving? Why? And what did they eat to break the fast?
Yes. He's actually been starving often since he has to fend for himself in an environment that isn't conducive for growing food. Most often he breaks those fasts by eating something of substance, though usually bland in taste--hard bread, porridge (aka "gray slop"), or a cup of bitter coffee.

3. Do they have a talent or skill that they’re proud of?
He can manipulate the elements fairly well. But he's most proud of his ability to retain stories and his story-teller's voice.


4. List 3 things that would make them lose their temper.
Injustice acts--he has a big heart and does not wish to see others mistreated or hurt.
If anybody did anything to Wren--kidnap, hurt her feelings, physically harm her, etc.
Coming face-to-face with the people who ruined his family--he doesn't openly seek out revenge, but if given the opportunity, he'd definitely avenge his family.

5. What is their favorite type of weather? Least favorite?
He likes the days when it's cool in the morning and the evening but pleasantly warm in the afternoon. The ones with bright skies and a fervor to stay outside all day. He hates cold, damp days where the sky is one shade of gray and there is no getting warm.

6. What is their Hogwarts house and/or MBTI personality?
His Hogwarts House would probably be Slytherin, though Hufflepuff might be an option for him as well. I haven't quite figured out his MBTI yet.

7. Are they more likely to worry about present problems, or freak out about the unknown future?
He'll worry about present problems. Tomorrow won't come if he doesn't survive today.


8. What is their favorite thing to drink?
When he lived in Taegan, his home island, he always liked fresh, cold water from natural springs. People on Taegan usually wanted to spice up their drinks with flavor, so they almost never drank just pure water. He always preferred it.
In Blitzkrieg, he'd do almost anything to have a mug of steaming chocolate (aka hot cocoa).

9. What is their favorite color? Least favorite?
His favorite color is purple, which is kind of odd. But it reminds him of his mother's favorite flower on Taegan, the one that she would put in her hair. And it's the color of the fabric Wren wore when he met her.
His least favorite color is probably a shade of gray. It reminds him of Blitzkrieg's dull skies and the featureless faces that haunt his dreams.

10. What is a book that changed their life?
He's never had that many books to read, though he wishes he did. One memorable book is one his mother made for him out of a dried leaf pulp and thread. She would draw pictures of things on the island of Taegan along with how to spell the words, so Ryker could learn to read and identify things when he had been quite young. It still sticks in his memory as the most important book because it's the last thing he has that ties him physically to his mother.


Did you participate in Beautiful People? Join us here!

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get our serial story rolling again and see more of Ryker. He is one heck of guy. I like how his name means rich even though he's fiscally poor. However, I'm know he's "rich" in friendship (at first with Wren and then later on with the group), so in a way the name holds true.

    Also, I like that interesting little tidbit about Taegan and how they add flavoring to their water. Nice world building detail.

    Great post! I'm learning so much about Ryker. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh! I know me too. I need to keep writing my chapters though. (Oops?)

      I think part of his character-arc might be him learning that he may not have money but he's rich in other ways.

      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. He sounds intriguing! And I agree - Pinterest is such a fun tool for writers. I love it when authors make boards!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Pinterest is great for inspiration, but it can also be dangerous because of 'wasting' time. :D

      Delete
  3. Ooo he sounds cool! I love the little tidbits you give of his past and I love the quote pics you chose. ^ ^

    My BP: http://storitorigrace.blogspot.com/2016/09/beautiful-people-21-silanoc.html

    ReplyDelete