Saturday, July 30, 2016

Beautiful People: July 2016

I know it's been a while since I last posted. I meant to post, but life and writing got busy, and well, now here we are. But have no fear, I have come to fulfill this month's Beautiful People! Huzzah!


This month doesn't have a special theme, which is okay because I'm introducing a new character. You're excited, right? A few friends and I are cooking up something writing related. I can only say it involves magic and thieves and well, lots of fun stuff.

Meet Taegan Ryker: my sad, poor skinny baby. His life hasn't been that great, but he's pushing through, no matter what. Ryker can use magic, though only in small amounts right now. He and Wren, an eleven year old girl, live day-to-day by performing magic. But it's never enough. (And that's about all I can tell you!)



Here are the questions:

1. Do they want to get married and/or have children? Why or why not?
Ryker hasn't really had time to think about this. He's too busy trying to make sure he survives the next day to worry about the future. He's also a seventeen year old boy, so he's not exactly focused on that. It's a far off thought, if he ever ends up rich enough or finds someone worth marrying...

2. What is their weapon of choice? (It doesn’t necessarily have to be a physical weapon.)
If he can, he'll use magic. Otherwise, his fists will do just fine.

3. What's the nicest thing they've done for someone else, and why did they do it?
The nicest thing he's done is save Wren's life. There were these creatures (he calls them "husks") attacking her family, and he saved her. Why did he do it? He didn't want anyone else to be hurt by the creatures that hurt his own family.


4. Have they ever been physically violent with someone, and what instigated it?
He's fought of "husks" before because they have no sense of morality, only what they want. He's also chased off/punished street urchins that try to pickpocket him.

5. Are they a rule-follower or a rebel?
I would say he's a little bit of both. For bigger things, like the city authority or the basic moral laws, he is a rule-follower. He tries his best to abide by what's right. But sometimes, he knows that he can't survive by the law, so he rebels. He steals food or he might flee from guards. He doesn't rebel a lot. He's also a kleptomaniac and a compulsive liar.

6. Are they organized or messy?
He's messy. From his hair to his living space to his magic abilities, he is messy. It's quite adorable, especially when Wren tries to "fix" him.

7. What makes them feel loved, and who was the last person to make them feel that way?
He doesn't quite realize this, but he feels loved when he can make other people smile. He loves using his magic to make children light up with wonder at the world or for adults to see a bit of joy in the world. He feels important, special even, when he can do that. Wren, of course, was the last person to make him feel this way.

Wren

8. What do they eat for breakfast?
Normally, he eats nothing. I know, sad.

9. Have they ever lost someone close to them? What happened?
Yes. His entire family. He and his family were kidnapped by pirates when he was a boy. He managed to escape because of his mother's sacrifice, but he doesn't know what happened to the rest of his family. He can only assume they died or were sold into slavery. (Poor baby.)

10. What’s their treat of choice? (Or, if not food, how else do they reward themselves?)
Any kind of food can be a treat to him, but he especially likes fruit. He lives on a northern island, which doesn't have a lot of variety of food. Imported food is expensive, and homegrown food is bland most of the time. Fruit is something he used to have as a luxury, so when he has the chance to get some, he does.


What did you think of Ryker? Tell me about your characters!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you did Ryker!!! I knew from the moment I read your chapter that he would be something else. Ah! Also, it's nice to have more information about him. I mean, I've only read the character information and the first chapter, so I've been wanting more about this boy since then (oh goodness, this story is going to be a wild ride). I'm looking forward to learning more about him.

    Also, good point about the fruit. Nice detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh! I love these characters so much already. :)
      I'm excited to see where the story takes us and reveal more about him.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I love Ryker! I think he's an incredibly well-thought out character and the story (from the tidbits I got from his backstory) sounds addictive! Wren is adorable, and they're both so sad and bittersweet. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He's still a very new character to me, so I'm glad he's already coming across well-developed. :D

      I hope to reveal more of the story soon. :)

      Delete