Saturday, May 21, 2016

Beautiful People: May 2016

Well, I made it my goal to post at least once a week, and so far for May, I've been terrible at keeping up. Hopefully once the summer months are here I'll find more time to write. But for now, I'll stick with doing Beautiful People and book reviews.


This month I'm spotlighting one of my absolute favorite characters: Arthur Benedict Williams. Arthur is the main character from my 2015 NaNoWriMo story. He's cute and adorable and really, really sad (at least at first). Basically, I just want to give him a big hug and keep him safe from everything that scares him.

Arthur is a nine year-old boy with dyslexia from the late 1950s. He learns he has a special connection with books and that the secret world of libraries needs his help to protect books from enemies. Here are the questions.


1. How often do they smile? Would they smile at a stranger?
Not enough. I know, it's sad. Do you see why I want to give him a big hug? He would never smile at a stranger. He barely smiles for his own family.

2. What is the cruelest thing they’ve ever been told? And what was their reaction?
Arthur is bullied a lot at school. The other kids know he can't read, and they use that against him. When the story starts, one of the bullies comes up with a chant that hurts Arthur a lot: "King Arthur can't read, King Arthur can't lead." Arthur gets mad and sad, throws a book at the bully, and runs away. Poor Arthur.

3. What is the kindest thing they’ve ever been told? And what was their reaction?
Everything his mother says is encouraging and thoughtful. She tells him he is a special boy and that he is smart and kind. Whenever Arthur gets compliments, he kind of goes into turtle-mode and gets shy and awkward. So he doesn't say much, and he tries to hide. But that's when he does smile.


4. What is one strong memory that has stuck with your character from childhood? Why is it so powerful and lasting?
He's still a child, but he likes to remember his mother reading to him before bed or when his father would carry him on his shoulders so he could see the world. Arthur longs to read, but because of his dyslexia, he has a hard type concentrating on books. When his mother read to him, he could experience stories and the magic and wonder that came with it. Any memories of his father are important to him because his father died when he was little and he almost can't remember him.

5. What book (a real actual published book!) do you think your character would benefit from reading?
Any book, really. But I think it would do him well to read Peter Pan and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and The Chronicles of Narnia. 

6. Have they ever been seriously injured? How severely? How did they react?
He's never been seriously injured. Just scrapes and bruises, but those still make him cry.


7. Do they like and get along with their neighbours?
He doesn't really know his neighbors. He's shy, so he doesn't like to talk to people.

8. On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being easy and 10 being difficult), how easy are they to get along with?
I'd say somewhere in the middle 5 or 6. He isn't hard to get along with if you know him. He's quiet and likes to listen more than talk, but he can still have fun and learn to get along with people.

9. If they could travel anywhere in the world, where would they go?
Arthur hasn't ever really thought about traveling other places. I think if he did, he would want to go into outer space or fly in an airplane far above the world.


10. Who was the last person they held hands with?
Before the story starts, his mother. After the story starts, Sam--his new friend.

Did you do Beautiful People?

9 comments:

  1. I also have a character with his world's equivalent to dyslexia, so it was nice to read about another character dealing with the same issue in a different way. My character was born into a position where in his designated future job reading would be critical, and so also got bullied because of it.
    Please give Arthur another big hug for me; he seems like an adorable character! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...Poor little kids getting bullied. That sounds like a intriguing story. (I think there needs to be more books about dyslexic kids doing awesome things!)

      I will definitely give Arthur a hug. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Awwwww he sounds so cute! I love that photo with him in the goggles. He reminds me of my little brother. ^ ^ That's so sad and sweet that he loves books, but has so trouble reading them.

    My beautiful people: http://storitorigrace.blogspot.com/2016/05/beautiful-people-17-faol.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)

      Arthur holds a very special place in my author heart.

      Delete
  3. Hi there :3 So what exactly is Beautiful People? I've always been interested in all things writing-related, so it looks like a lot of fun! Sorry, wasn't sure where else to put this ;3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Beautiful People is a monthly link-up for any writer (or probably even artist!) where we answer questions about characters in order to get to know them better. You can find out more here: http://www.furtherupfurtherin.net/p/beautiful-people-faq_15.html

      I find it is a lot of fun, and it helps me learn about my characters in different ways. :) Plus, I love reading about other people's characters and visiting their blogs!

      Delete
    2. Arthur sounds like a fascinating character, I look forward to hearing more about him! I also think it's interesting you chose to set the story in circa 1960, there was so much change going on in the world at that time ;3

      Oh, and do you use Goodreads?

      Delete
  4. OH I LOVE HIM! I want to hug him so much omg he is the sweetest!!! <3 <3 Looks like he gets a happy ending? I hope so. :)

    Here's mine from May: https://ravens-and-writingdesks.blogspot.com/2016/05/beautiful-people-17-tanya-and-farewell.html?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww.... thank you :) I want to hug him too.

      And I think, for the most part, he has a happy ending.

      Delete