Sunday, January 17, 2016

Beautiful People: January 2016

A new year usually brings new writing thoughts to my mind. From writing goals to writing challenges to daydreaming about my writing, I've been thinking about how I want to make this year count toward my writing ambitions. Luckily, the creators of Beautiful People were thinking the same thing. The questions for this month are all about 2016 writing resolutions. (Find out more about Beautiful People here.)


Here are the questions, which are answered by me with help from my favorite 'avocados.' :)

What were your writing achievements last year?
I completed NaNoWrio 2016. I wrote 500 words every single day. I re-worked the beginning of my current WIP, which has helped me figure out which direction I should go with it in order to edit.


Tell us about your top priority writing project for this year?
Editing something all the way through. I've never been good at taking the time to edit or re-write something. My goal this year is to edit at least one WIP all the way through in order to start beta readers.


List 5 areas you’d like to work the hardest to improve this year.
Editing, re-writing, outlining, word choice, consistency in time.


Are you participating in any writing challenges?
Currently, no?


What's your critique partner/beta reader situation like and do you have plans to expand this year?
I hope to start off my current WIP with beta readers sometime this year. I want to edit by parts so while they look over one part, I'm editing/re-writing the next part.


Do you have plans to read any writer-related books this year? Or are there specific books you want to read for research?
I should probably read Bird by Bird at some point since nobody assigned it to be in college. I'll be looking through the Writer's Journey from time to time to outline my novel. I'm not sure what I need to research.


Pick one character you want to get to know better, and how are you going to achieve this?
While he's not for my current WIP, I'd like to get to know my space opera MC, Leezander, more. I think he's got a few secrets left. I've also been thinking about my 'superhero novel' and the MC of that. I think I might get to know her--along with the rest of the cast--better this year too. (Currently the 'superhero novel' is being shelved for NaNoWriMo 2016. We'll see if it happens.)


Do you plan to edit or query, and what’s your plan of attack?
Edit. Lots and lots of editing. Re-writing, editing, beta-ing. Plan for attack?


Toni Morrison once said, “If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.” What are the books that you want to see more of, and what “holes” do you think need filling in the literary world?
Dragons. More dragons. More stories with strongly developed characters. More unique worlds, ideas. More science fiction novels.


What do you hope to have achieved by the end of 2016?
I hope I've got a completed manuscript with enough feedback to push me toward querying.


What are your 2016 writing resolutions?
-Jaime

(This entire post is so ridiculous. I don't even know what I'm doing any more.) 

4 comments:

  1. WOAH. 500 words every single day?!? THAT IS AMAZING. I AM IN SUCH AWE OF YOU RIGHT NOW!! *flails* I 100% agree we need more dragon books too. I mean, why are they even such a tiny thing in literature?!? MORE. DRAGONS. (I wrote a dragon book last year and it's definitely one I want to edit up ASAP. XD)
    Good luck with your edits and finishing manuscripts and ALL that fun stuff. :D
    Thanks for joining in our linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't know how to did it. I don't think every day went toward my WIPs, but sometimes free writing or focusing on something else (a blog post, a school assignment) helped free up my mind to think about my stories.

      YES! Dragons!!!!

      Delete
  2. These sound like some great goals! I'm currently editing one of my books. It's tough, but so worth it! I wish you the best in doing it! And you get never get enough dragons and Daredevil yesssss!

    My BP: http://storitorigrace.blogspot.com/2016/01/beautiful-people-14-writerly.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I tried. X'D

      I wish you the best in your edits. I know you can do it!

      :DDD

      Delete