Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Fangirl Initiative Autumn Reading Challenge: Mission Complete

A few weeks ago (I know, I know), November ended. With it, The Fangirl Initiative's Autumn Reading Mission finished up as well. The goal was to read at least six of the ten creative prompts listed for the challenge. I successfully finished all ten prompts just in time. I would definitely call that success!


Here's what I read and a few thoughts about each.

1. Read something spooky: horror, Gothic, paranormal.

Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
Completed: October 28th

Duh-duh-DUN! Okay, so this was definitely spooky and weird. However, the whole "plot twist" of Dr. Jekyll is Mr. Hyde wasn't so... plot twist-y. I knew it was coming because of pop culture. So the reveal didn't feel so "ta-da!" Still, I felt the story was intriguing to read since I'd never read the original tale.

2. Read something pumpkin related. (A book about pumpkins, a book with a pumpkin on the cover, a book the color of a pumpkin, anything.)

Frankenstein: The Graphic Novel (Original Text)
Completed: November 26th
(The cover was orange.)

I had to read this for school. It surprisingly told the original Frankenstein story very well. It stuck pretty close to the book.

3. Read something with less than 300 pages.

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Completed: October 30th

I was genuinely surprised at how small this was. I thought it would be longer for some reason? It's basically word for word (?) the story I know. Like nothing is different from the story I know.

4. Read something with a place in the title.

A Small Place by Jamaica Kincaid
Completed: November 18th

Get it?

5. Read a book about sisters.

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Completed: November 22nd

The sound you hear is the voice of fangirls in pain because of what I've done.

6. Re-read a favorite book. The first Saturday in November is dedicated to Book Lover’s Day.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S Lewis
Completed: November 8th

Once a king or queen, always a king or queen. Once a favorite story, always a favorite story.

7. Read a children’s book. The third week of November is dedicated to National Children’s Book Week. Bonus points if you read with a child.

Shake to Assemble by Marvel
Completed: November 5th

This is adorable. I read it to my nephew, who was a little too young to understand/pay attention. However, I think I'll keep it for when he's older. It's a must for Marvel fans.

8. Read a book with magic in it.

Among Others by Jo Walton.
Completed: November 18th

If you like SF novels, you should read this book. No, really. Go read it. Jo is a wonderful person I had the privilege of meeting. (That's right. I had dinner with a Hugo award winner.)

9. Read a book you’re thankful for. Read a book and thank it (or even its author?) for existing.

Winter by Marissa Meyer
Completed: November 15th

I'm thankful for this book because I've been dying to read it for over a year and it had everything I wanted, and more. I'm still not over Thorne and Cress or Winter and Jacin. This is a must read for lovers of fairy tales and YA fantasy. I aspire to write such a great story as Marissa Meyer.

10. Read a book related to fairy tales.

The Golden Braid by Melanie Dickerson.
Completed: November 5th

You can find my review here.

What books did you read this fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment