Saturday, December 19, 2015

Beautiful Books: December 2015

Ah, it's that time of the month again where I finally stop putting off my answers to the Beautiful Books link-up hosted by Sky @ Further Up and Further In and Cait @ Paper Fury. You can learn more about Beautiful Books here.


This month, we're supposed to discuss our editing process (click here for this month's questions). I'll be answering the questions about my 2015 NaNoWriMo novel: The Secret Library Society. Here we go...

1. On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best), how did the book turn out? Did anything defy your expectations?

I'd go with a 6 or 7? Technically, it's not finished. I hit over 50K, but I've yet to type the final ending because of the end of the semester workload. (But hey, now I'm free!) It turned out well. Obviously, I'll need to go back to edit because sometimes I overwrite or add things that don't need to be explained. However, a lot of things happened that I didn't expect (like characters who popped in or the side trip to Narnia...)

2. Comparative title time: what published books, movies, or TV shows are like your book? (Ex: Inkheart meets X-Men.)

I guess... The Book Thief (sort of) meets Inkheart with a hint of Narnia and something else...


3. Do you enjoy working with deadlines and pressure (aka NaNoWriMo)? Or do you prefer to write-as-you’re-inspired?

Yes and no. It helps me get my thoughts down in first draft, but if I'm trying to make it sound good, well, deadlines don't help. I do like to write "as inspired" but that is difficult to get away with in a professional writing world.

4. How do you go about editing? Give us an insight into your editing process.

I... don't? Haha... *cries* I've never fully edited anything I've written before. This semester of school has been the first where I've really sat down and edited/revised. I mainly, if I do it at all, rewrite. Otherwise, I try to get someone else to read it and tell me how to make it better.

5. What aspect of your story needs the most work?

Probably either character development or the plot progression. Or both. I'm a pantser/gardener, so while I've got ideas of where the story will go, sometimes unexpected things happen and the story veers off the original track or doesn't add up.

6. What aspect of your story did you love the most?

I love my characters, but I hope to flesh them out more and make each one distinct and important. I also love the world I created within the Library. There's lots of hidden surprises and interesting takes on real life library tasks. It was a lot of fun to write and imagine.

7. Give us a brief run down on your main characters and how you think they turned out. Do you think they'll need changes in edits?

Arthur: He's the adorable protagonist. He definitely grows and changes during the course of the story. He learns to believe in himself and to trust his abilities. It's cute.

Sam: She kind of disapprared during part of the novel when Arthur was caught up in the Library happenings. I would like to develop her character more and find ways to bring her into the story.


Recto: He kind of surprised me. I had an idea of who he would be, what he would do. But there were parts of his personality I hadn't discovered yet. He, and his sister, Verso, will need more development and to clear up inconsistencies.

Jacob: I didn't expect him. Yes, I knew there would be a character there, but I didn't expect who he would be or what he would do or how important and critical he would be to Arthur's growth. I didn't expect his name either. I think he'll need more development and more foreshadowing before his arrival in the story.

8. What are your plans for this novel once you finish editing? More edits? Finding beta readers
Querying? Self-publishing? Hiding it in a dark hole forever?

I'm definitely looking forward to beta readers to help out. (I've got people who want to read it already.) I think once I've got a draft or two I'm comfortable with the only thing to help me is getting outside opinions. There's only so many times I can look at my own words before it blurs together. I think eventually, once it's been edited to the best it can, I would like to try to publish it. I feel this story has potential for me.

9. Share a favourite snippet!
Below him, he could see the center of the Library where the entrance was and the Archivist burrow was located. He could see the bookcases on the first level, row after row of them.
And they were all on fire.
The books were burning. The glare of the fire hit Arthur in shades of red and orange with the briefest glimmer of yellow. His face grew hot from the heat licking through the Library. Horror washed over Arthur. This couldn’t be happening. The Library could not be on fire!
10. What are your writing goals and plans for 2016?

I plan to write an entire blog post about this soon, but my biggest goal is to edit/revise something I've written and find beta readers for it. :)


Did you participate in NaNoWriMo or Beautiful Books?

2 comments:

  1. Yay for winning! Your story sounds interesting. I love that mix of books. ^ ^ Best wishes on editing it. You can do it! It's hard but worth it.

    I did Beautiful Books too! http://storitorigrace.blogspot.com/2015/12/beautiful-books-editing-process.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm determined to edit something in the coming year, so I will just keep going at it until it's completed!

      Delete