Friday, October 30, 2015

The Fangirl Initiative Autumn Mission: Challenge Accepted

This week, the website I write for, The Fangirl Initiative, issued another reading mission: Fall into a Good Books The challenge is shorter, only ten prompts, but the prompts are just as fun. I plan to try to complete six of the ten (as required to succeed), but I hope I can find time for all ten! The challenge runs until November 27th, so you should definitely think about joining!


Here's my potential reading list for the next month. Since I'm still in school, I'm going to try to use the books I have to read for the list. We'll see. I've already completed one.

1. Read something spooky: horror, Gothic, paranormal.

I read Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson for my Mary Shelley class. It was definitely in the realm of... spooky. I enjoyed it immensely.

2. Read something pumpkin related. (A book about pumpkins, a book with a pumpkin on the cover, a book the color of a pumpkin, anything.)

This one has me stumped. I don't know of any books off the top of my head about pumpkins or even with pumpkins on the cover. I'm up for suggestions, but I'll probably figure something out. Or skip it.

3. Read something with less than 300 pages.

I've got multiple books I could pick for this one:

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Master Harold and the Boys by Athol Fugard

4. Read something with a place in the title.

To be funny I want to say A Small Place by Jamaica Kincaid (for school). But I might find something else that actually fulfills the prompt.

5. Read a book about sisters.

Does Laura Ingalls Wilder's autobiography count?
(I'm sure I'll find some book to work for this. I just haven't specifically picked on yet.)

6. Re-read a favorite book. The first Saturday in November is dedicated to Book Lover’s Day.

Well. I've got plenty to choose from. I'll have to look through my list(s) of favorites to pick one! I might pick one of the Narnia books because it's been a while since I read it.

7. Read a children’s book. The third week of November is dedicated to National Children’s Book Week. Bonus points if you read with a child.

I've got plenty of books to choose from. Plus, my nephew is around a lot, so I'm sure I'll get to read to him. I'd like to read Crankenstein to him, especially if he's crank (get it?).

8. Read a book with magic in it. 

Among Others by Jo Walton. This author is visiting my school in November. I'd love to read her book before she comes. It contains magic. And it won the Hugo Award and an bunch of other awards.

9. Read a book you’re thankful for.Read a book and thank it (or even its author?) for existing.

Again, I've got plenty of books to choose from for this one. Though, I'm thankful for every book.

10. Read a book related to fairy tales.

The Golden Braid by Melanie Dickerson.

So while I don't have every single book picked out, I've got a wide selection. Since NaNoWriMo is coming, along with the end of the semester (which means papers, projects, and more), it might be a real challenge to read six books. But I'm determined to try it!

Let me know if you're participating or if you've got recommendations for any of the categories.

-Jaime.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun list! A good pumpkin suggestion would be a Cinderella novel. ;) Happy reading!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete