Thursday, September 3, 2015

TFI Summer Reading Challenge: Mission Complete

August has ended. Classes started this week, I said goodbye to my summer job for the last time, and my freedom to read what I wish has slipped away. But I didn’t waste my summer. I read. Oh, I read. Lots of books, lots of comics, lots of picture books to my new little nephew.


I participated in TWO reading challenges this summer (in addition to my year long one, which is coming along). One was through The Fangirl Initiative: the Summer Reading Mission. This encompassed any books I read throughout the challenge. The other was an August frenzy challenge. The goal was simply to read as many pages as we could. However, there were a few challenges to complete as well. I almost finished two of the challenges.
For TFI’s Summer Reading Mission we could only complete one of the prompts per book. I couldn’t use Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore for both “a color in the title” and “a book over 400 pages.” I had to choose one, which made the challenge a tad more difficult. For the August challenge, we could apply as many prompts per book as we wanted. Thus, Goose Girl by Shannon Hale helped be complete four or five of the challenge prompts.
It was fun to participate in both. I enjoyed the books I read, the comic arcs I dove into, and the thrill of finishing the challenges. This has been a very bookish summer. And I hope this fall and beyond continue this trend.

Here are the books I completed for The Fangirl Initiative: Summer Reading Mission (with prompts):

1. Written by an author with your first name (or the same first or last initial as you.)
Origin by Jessica Khoury
Completed: June 30
2. With a color in the title.
Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
Completed: August 6
3. That's been sitting on your shelf for more than a year.
Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
Completed: August 13
4. That is historical fiction.
The Pharaoh's Daughter by Mesu Andrews
Completed: June 17 (see my review of it here).
5. You picked for the cover.
Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
Completed: July 10

Listen, Slowly by
Completed: July 21
6. That's first in a series.
The Young Elites by Marie Lu
Completed: July 23
7. Involving time travel.
Soccer on Sunday (Magic Tree House #52) by Mary Pope Osborne
Completed: July 18
8. Featuring a love triangle.
This may be cheating but...
The entire Marvel Civil War story arc. Let's just go with it's one big love triangle between all superheroes and Ironman and Captain America. Brilliant really.
Completed: August
9. Set in the future.
Remnants: Season of Fire by Lisa T. Bergren
Completed: May 10 (see my review of books 1 and 2 here)
10. With more than 400 pages.
Sapphique by Catherine Fisher
Completed: August 24
11. Narrated by a guy.
The Curse of the King by Peter Lerangis
Completed: July 1
12. Retelling a fairy tale.
The Captive Maiden by Melanie Dickerson
Completed: August 3
13. That is a classic.
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Completed: August 4
14. Outside your usual favorite genres.
Five Days in Skye by Carla Laureano
Completed: May 31  (read my review here)
London Tides by Carla Laureano
Completed: June 4 (read my review here)
15. Recommended by a friend or fellow fangirl!
The Neverending Story by Michael Dende
Completed: June 26

Here are the books I completed for the August challenges (with prompts for each challenge):

1. Read a book with a book on the cover. 
The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
2. Read a book with something shiny on the cover.
Sapphique by Catherine Fisher
3. Read a book with a character name in the title:
Sapphique by Cather Fisher
4. Read a book your mom/dad/Important-Family-Figure loves:
Little House Books (I think?) by Laura Ingalls Wilder
5. Pick a number, go to the library, find a shelf, and count from one end and get the book the number lands on:
I have the book but didn't get to read it :(
6. Read a book that you almost forgot was even on your shelf :
Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
7. Read a book you never finished in another readathon (If you haven’t done a marathon before, do this for any book you’ve been meaning to read but keep putting off) :
Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
8. Read a classic:
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
9. Read a sequel: 
Sapphique by Catherine Fisher
10. Go into a book without reading the synopsis:
Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
11. Read a book you can finish in a day:
Marvel's Civil War comics
12. Read that book your friends been threatening you to read for ages:
Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
13. C’mon. It’s summer. Read a romance. Classic or not, just do it.:
The Captive Maiden by Melanie Dickerson
14. Read a book by an author you’ve never read:
Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
15. Pick out a book at the library just because of the cover (You’re welcome to read the back afterwards to make sure that it’s not an amish wearwolf romance):
Sapphique by Catherine Fisher
--
“Mega challenge”
1. Read a book over 400 pages: 
Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
2. Read a whole series (can be duology or trilogy, but it must be started and finished this month): 
The Little House Books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
3. Read a book set where you live.: 
USA? The Little House Books XD
4. Pick out a two or three books where the titles make a sentence (Thanks to my mom for this one!):
The Long Winter By the Banks of Plum Creek (sort of a sentence?)
5. ‪#‎throwback‬‬‬‬! Re-read a book you read in the last marathon or read the sequel or book by same author. (If you haven’t done a marathon before, do this for any book you read last summer):
Sapphique by Catherine Fisher (I read book one, Incarceron, for TFI Summer Reading Mission).

Overall, I think I had a memorable reading summer. I read thirty-six novels (including all of the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder), seventy-four comics (including the entirety of Marvel’s Civil War story arc and side stories), and multiple picture books or children’s chapter books.


Did you have a productive reading summer? What was your favorite summer read?

Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment