Monday, July 6, 2015

TFI Summer Reading Mission: Challenge Accepted


I Accept:
Recently, my good, book-loving friend Sarah Munson posted a summer reading challenge over at The Fangirl Initiative. Although I don't have any problem filling my summer with book reading, I am intrigued with her challenge. Basically, I think they're fun! The rules are simple: count only completed books, finish at least ten of the fifteen prompts, one prompt per book, and have fun.

With fifteen prompts, I feel I could definitely accomplish this task while reading books and having fun with it. Since I've already read a number of books this summer (mainly graphic novels), I'm going to kind of tweak the challenge to include those that fit with the prompts. I don't know if this is cheating or not (Sara? Bueller? Anybody?). The rest of the summer will be dedicated to finding and then reading the books to fit.


The Mission:
1. Written by an author with your first name (or the same first or last initial as you.)
I think I will find it hard to find an author with the same first name as me, especially spelled right. Instead, I'm going to take the first/last initial challenge. I've already read one book by an author with the first initial of J, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for other books just in case.

Origin by Jessica Khoury: completed June 30


2. With a color in the title.
Technically, I read a Marvel comic with the word "Black" in the subtitle, but since I don't feel it accomplished this step of the mission, I'm going to look for another option.

Possibilities:
Sky Blue by Travis Thrasher
So Silver Bright by Lisa Mantchev (I've been meaning to read this for...uhh... a while)

3. That's been sitting on your shelf for more than a year.
Oh boy! I've got stacks and stacks of books to choose from for this one. There are so many books I own I've never read, and many from over a year ago (I know, I know, it's a crime to books!). I'll have to decide which one I'll be reading but it'll probably be one of these:

The Goose Girl by  Shannon Hale
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
Captives by Jill Williamson
The Dragon King Trilogy by Stephen R. Lawhead
Monster by Frank Peretti.

4. That is historical fiction.
I've got a love/hate relationship with historical fiction. Sometimes I love, love, love them but other times I feel they get bogged down by icky romance subplots OR too much pushy Christian messages. I did read on though that told the story of Moses' adopted mother, the daughter of the pharaoh. It was captivating:

The Pharaoh's Daughter by Mesu Andrews. Completed: June 17 (see my review of it here).

5. You picked for the cover.
I'll get back to you on that one. Too many choices.

Possibilities:
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (I'm truly a sucker for Big Ben. It reminded me of Peter Pan.)
ArchEnemy by Frank Beddor (Not only do I really want to finish this series, but those colors are gorgeous. Plus intriguing! I'm desperate to read it!)
Listen, Slowly by Thanhha Lai (wow, just wow)


6. That's first in a series.
I've read a few graphic novels that would fit as the first in a series (Fullmetal Alchemist, Winter Soldier, etc.), but I think I'm going to look for a book-book to complete this step of the mission. I want to find a new series to read. Recommendations would be awesome. :)

Possibilities:
The Choosing by Rachelle Dekker
Ouran High School Host Club (okay, yes, this is a manga buuuut...)
The Young Elites by Marie Yu (Why have I not read this yet?? WHY)

7. Involving time travel.
How do I not have a book for this yet? I don't know. The world may never know. Recommendations, or I'll search through my ever-growing goodreads list for something to fit!

Possibilities:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya (It's a manga I tried to read once upon a time but got confused. Now that I've watched the anime in chronological order, I think I might be successful with this.)
Magic Tree House books by Mary Pope Osbourne (What can I say? I love my childhood still. Plus let's be honest here, the tree house is definitely a time machine.)

8. Featuring a love triangle.
I think I could easily find a book that would work for this step. I'm genuinely surprised I have yet to read a book this summer with a love triangle. Is this some kind of weird paradox?

9. Set in the future.
I'm not surprised I've got this one covered... multiple times. Though, if I'm going to abide by the rules I can't count some of the books. Thus, I'm left to do as Sarah suggested in her post and use a Remnants book.

Remnants: Season of Fire by Lisa T. Bergren. Completed--May 10 (see my review of books 1 and 2 here)

10. With more than 400 pages.
I've been groaning in agony over the fact that most of the books I've read so far are just under 400 pages (really, one is 396 pages! Come on!). So, I'm up for any suggestions or I might have to pull out a rather large (and ominous) volume.

Possibilities:
Eragon by Christopher Paolini (I've been meaning to re-read this for years)
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (It's about 1000 pages, so...)
The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis (one volume, so it counts)



11. Narrated by a guy.
I've read book four in the Seven Wonders series by Peter Lerangis, The Curse of the King. These books are narrated by thirteen year-old Jack McKinely (which makes them hilarious). But I would also like to (finally) read the third Maze Runner book, The Death Cure, if I can.

The Curse of the King by Peter Lerangis. Completed: July 1

12. Retelling a fairy tale.
I've got a lot of options for fairy tale retellings. I could re-read the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer or I could scavenge around for something new. But there's one book I've been meaning to read for a while that I think I should hunker down and just finish already:

The Captive Maiden by Melanie Dickerson. I've read all of her other fairy tale retellings to date except this one. I should just read it, right?

13. That is a classic.
Sometimes I like classics. Sometimes I don't. But I've probably read more in the last year than I thought I ever would. However, there are a few I'd like to re-visit and had planned to re-read this summer until shining new books got in my line of vision. I might read one, I might read both, I might read all. We'll see.

Possibilities:
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (You can never have too much Anne Girl and Gilbert Blythe, am I right?)
The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder (I grew up on these, I've read them over and over, but it's been years since I last read one. I think this is one adventure series worth re-visiting again.)

14. Outside your usual favorite genres.
On a whim, I signed up to review two books for a blog tour this summer. These weren't my typical genre being contemporary, Christian romance. But I found I enjoyed them just as much as a fantasy novel or YA book. It was a pleasant surprise.

Five Days in Skye by Carla Laureano. Completed: May 31  (review coming on Wednesday!)
London Tides by Carla Laureano. Completed: June 4 (read my review here)

15. Recommended by a friend or fellow fangirl!
I get recommendations from people all the time. A fellow co-worker at my summer library job recommended to me The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. It was astounding to read. If I could write a book, I'd want it to be this one. Maybe I will.

The Neverending Story by Michael Dende. Completed: June 26

In addition, I've been told to read...
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken
Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling
Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

When the challenge is over, I'll update you on whether I've accomplished it and which books I chose to read in addition to what I've already completed. See you soon!


Will you join me on this book mission? Or do you have any recommendations for me to fulfill the prompts? Let me know in the comments! 

-Jaime

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome list, Jaime! :D I'm so excited you're joining. I'll have to check into some more of the titles you mentioned. As far as rules go, I say the books you've already completed count. :) Good luck with the rest! I can't wait to read your update.

    ReplyDelete