Friday, July 24, 2015

Beautiful People July 2015

It's summer. The air is warm, the sun is shining... oh wait! No, it's not. It's raining. Again. But still, rain or shine, it's summer.

But it's been July for twenty-four days and I have yet to complete Beautiful People, so here I am to answer questions about my characters. Since it's summer, I've been thinking a lot about a story I finished a few years ago (three years, it's been three years). Couple that with listening to my old Owl City CDs, and my mind has definitely wandered back to the story I started in the back of eleventh grade math class and finished right after graduating high school. 


It's called Sailboats and Stars (for now) and it's the adventures of two dreamers. Everything in it was inspired by the works of Adam Young (or if you know him better by Owl City). It's kind of a different genre for me--and possibly for the literary world. It's definitely has YA and romance in it, but it's not fully that. It's somewhat coming of age, but it's mainly just the adventures of two people. Sometimes I think it fits better under the genre of "Slice of Life," which is something popular in Japanese anime. "Slice of Life" doesn't always have a notable plot, but instead, it focuses on daily life of a few characters in a particular setting.


Anyways, I've introduced my two stars (see what I did there) once before through other character oriented blog posts. But I knew when I looked over the questions I couldn't just pick one of them; this story only works because of both of them. So I'm going to answer the questions for both Adam Byrd and Juliet Ford. Come join us on a dreamy adventure!


1. What’s their favourite ice cream flavour?
Adam: Vanilla because, according to Juliet, he's boring. :D
Juliet: Double Fudge Brownie because you can never have to much chocolate.

2. Your character is getting ready for a night out. Where are they going? What are they wearing? Who will they be with?
Adam: Out? Adam doesn't go out. Just kidding. If he's off for an adventure, he's dragging Juliet with him. He probably wouldn't dress up in anything fancy unless it was a formal event (and then he probably wouldn't be going). He'd probably where khaki shorts and a t-shirt with flip-flops. As to where he could be going? Anything is possible.

Juliet: If it's something formal, she might make an effort, but it's doubtful. Most likely if she's going anywhere it's with Adam or her family. She'd probably just wear jeans and a t-shirt or plaid shirt with her Converse. If it's with Adam, she never knows where they could be off to. If it's with her family, it'll be out to eat and maybe to a movie.

3. Look at your character’s feet. Describe what you see there. Do they wear dress shoes, gym shoes, or none at all? Are they in socks that are ratty and full of holes? What do they consider comfortable and what do they consider agony?
Adam: His feet are most likely bare and tanned from the sun. If he has to wear shoes, he'll wear plain black flip-flops if it's warm or ratty sneakers he's had forever. He hates dress shoes.

Juliet: She's probably wearing her worn yet still nice pairs of Converse, even if she's on the beach. Her socks come in various colors and types, usually never matching. She hates anything with a heel and she's not fond of flip-flops because they hurt her toes.


4. Do they have any birthmark or scars? Where are they and how did they get them?
Adam: He has a scar over his eyebrow from when he fell off his bike when he was nine.

Juliet: She has a birthmark on her right shoulder.

5. What kind of music do they listen to? Does it change depending on their mood or is it always consistent? (Feel free to share samples!)
Adam: He listens to a wide variety of music, pretty much anything that comes on the radio. He specifically likes instrumental music.

Juliet: She's a fan of pop, indie, and alternative. It changes depending on how she feels.


6. Do they have any musical talent? Play an instrument? How’s their singing voice?
Adam: He can sing fairly well. He's dabbled with piano, guitar, and saxophone but nothing has stuck. He'd rather write than sing.

Juliet: Her singing voice can get by in groups, but she's loves playing piano.

7. What kind of book would you catch them reading?
Adam: He reads mainly fantasy and sci-fi.

Juliet: She reads anything that comes her way.

8. How would they spend their summers (or their holidays)?
Adam: He spends his summers running all over Port Blue (their town). He especially likes to go sailing in his sailboat. He's always out of the house and near the water.

Juliet: She'd prefer to spend her summer reading nice, thick books. However, that doesn't always happen. She spends her time on the beach, searching for Adam's whereabouts, and chasing after her younger brother. She loves to go stargazing as well.


9. It’s Saturday at noon. What is your character doing? Give details. Ex. If they’re eating breakfast, what’s on the menu? Are they hiking, shopping, lazing around?
Adam: He's probably eating outside somewhere, maybe on his boat or on the beach.

Juliet: If Adam has arrived to drag her out of the house, she's inside making lunch for her younger siblings and deciding what needs to get done that day (house work, cleaning room, painting, moving things in, etc.)

10. Is there anything your character wants to be free of?
Adam: He wants to be free of his grief.

Juliet: She wants to be free of her fear.



If you've participated, I'd love to read about your character(s) so let me know in the comments. Also, if you haven't: what are you waiting for??? You can find the complete list of questions for the month here. I'd love for you to join me. 

-Jaime

2 comments:

  1. Awwwww these two sound so cute! I love love looooove Owl City. He's amazing. I went to one of his concerts once. I love Juliet's blue hair and that's really cool that they live next to the ocean. ^ ^ I did BP too this month: http://storitorigrace.blogspot.com/2015/07/beautiful-people-11-brian.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) They are too cute for words. I have no idea how I wrote an entire story about them.

      I obviously love Owl City too. XD I've been to one of his concerts once as well. But only once. & it was a while ago. *sigh*

      I just figured out she has blue hair.... guess I need to add that to my editing checklist. XD

      I'll definitely look at your BP post :) Thanks!

      Delete