Friday, June 19, 2015

Beautiful People: June 2015

Beautiful People is back again for a new month of questions. I'm super stoked for these questions because they're all about the characters' parents! I've read so many books (especially YA) where the parents are dead or completely absent. I know some stories work for the best that way (think Batman), but I like the idea of strong, interactive parents in stories too. I try to get my characters' parents into the story as much as I can. It doesn't always happen though.


As usual, it took me a while to decide which character (or characters) to answer the questions about. Since I'm trying to get back to writing-editing  A Girl and  Her Dragon, I knew I had to choose a character from the novel to get my creative juices flowing. The only problem is a few of my characters don't have parents--or don't know who they are. Thus I was left with choosing between Killian and Brielle again. They've appeared a lot for Beautiful People. (In fact, this month is the anniversary of when I introduced Killian to the blog and the world through my first Beautiful People post!)

 

I decided to answer the questions about both! (Who's surprised? Really? Who?) I will be answering questions in regard to the beginning of the novel and not later into the story in case of spoilers.

1. Do they know both their biological parents? Why/why not?
Brielle: She knew them when she was a child. Her mother died when she was young and she only sees her papa every once in a while (and his visits have been lacking as of late).

Killian: Yes, he knows both of his biological parents as he lives with them.

2. Have they inherited any physical resemblances from their parents?
Brielle: Yes. She looks mostly like her mother with a fair, pale complexion, dark hair, and moon-shaped eyes. However, she inherited the striking green shade of eyes that matches her papa's eyes.

Killian: He inherited the darker hair, tan skin, and dark gaze of his father. There is little resemblance between Killian and his mother.

3. What's their parental figure(s) dress style? Add pictures if you like!
Brielle: Her mother was very traditional and wore long, simple skirts and dresses with shawls.



Her papa wears the typical button-down with suspenders when he's conducting business but on board his pirate ship he dresses a little looser.




Killian: His mother is also traditional but wears elegant gowns and outfits fit for the queen she is. His father is strict and traditional, wearing the fitted suits and kingly attire of Greene.

 


4. Do they share any personality traits with their parental figures? And which do they take after most?
Brielle: She has the quiet demeanor of her mother on the outside, but inside she rages and dreams like her papa. If the opportunity arises, she will stand for what she believe is right--something her papa does. Brielle may look like her mother, but she's definitely her papa's daughter.

Killian: He takes after both of his parents in different ways. He has the stubbornness of his father, which is why they butt-heads a lot. But he has the heart of kindness and compassion and acceptance from his mother.


5. Do they get on with their parental figure(s) or do they clash?
Brielle: She remembers only happiness with her mother. While her papa has hurt her by abandoning her, she still loves him dearly and would do almost anything to help him.

Killian's father: King Xavier of Greene
Killian: He has a special relationship with his mother that none of his siblings has. He loves her more dearly than almost any one. He clashes a lot with his father because of how similar they are. Their mutual stubbornness doesn't help. But Killian remembers a time of good memories with his father.

6. If they had to describe their parental figure(s) in one word, what would it be?
Brielle: For her mother, she'd say lovely. For her papa, she'd say gifted.

Killian: For his mother, he'd say gentle. For his father, he'd say stern.

7. How has their parental figure(s) helped them most in their life?
Brielle: Her mother has instilled hope in Brielle. Because of the happiness she remembers in the first five years of her life, Brielle clings to the idea of finding that happiness again. Her papa has taught her many things, but most of all, he taught her to believe in fairy tales.

Brielle's papa: Emmett
Killian: His mother is the one who taught him to think with his heart--to show kindness, mercy, grace, and love. His father is the one who urged him on, making him work harder to become better so one day he could understand his full potential.

8. What was their biggest fight with their parental figure(s)?
Brielle: She can't recall any fights with her mother, but she fought against her papa abandoning her on the farm.

Killian: He fights with his mother only over his relationship with his father. She urges him to listen to his father, perhaps mend the rift between them. But Killian only shrugs off her advice. He fights with his father constantly, but his biggest fight comes through his more rebellious actions, which warp his reputation. His father thinks Killian should conduct himself like a future king, but Killian doesn't want to be king.

Brielle's mother
9. Tracing back the family tree, what nationalities are in their ancestry?
--The story isn't technically set in our world, but I'm going to use the modern nationalities to help describe the characters family backgrounds--

Brielle: Her mother is Asian (specifically Japanese) but her blood is so-called tainted according to the Crimson Kingdom's race rules in that her mother isn't wholly Asian. There's some Western in her. Her papa is Caucasian, specifically from the western side of Europe.


Killian: His mother's family, through which the royal bloodline flows, is of European descendant. His father's family is close to Latino descendant.

10. What’s their favorite memory with their parental figure(s)?
Brielle: She remembers making flower crowns with her mother while her mother sang beautiful songs. Her favorite memory with her papa is when he first showed her the meteor shower and told her about the dragons' souls yearning to fly again.

Killian: He remembers visiting a farm every summer with his mother and siblings. They'd climb trees, pick peaches, and enjoy the summer sun. He remembers when his father would comfort him after a nightmare. These moments his father taught him he did not have to be afraid of monsters because he held the power within himself to tame the monsters.

Killian's mother
Those are all the questions. These questions were enjoyable to answer and they gave me more inspiration for the story. I know more about my characters, and now you do too! I'd love to read about your characters, so let me know if you've linked up in the comments below. You can find the questions and link-up here.


Thanks for reading. If you want to know more, feel free to ask in the comments below.
-Jaime

4 comments:

  1. your character's parents sound so well-formed! That's an area I'm currently struggling with right now, so I'm super impressed and wowed! And I approve of Richard Armitage as Killian's dad--he seems perfect for what you've described! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're well-formed because they're very involved with the plot/story. I have other stories where the parents are only briefly mentioned or non-existant. I think it just takes time--and doing things like this--to help shape other characters.

      You can do it. :) It took me time until I had a good idea of the characters. But even now, I haven't settled on names for either of their mothers!

      Yesss, Richard Armitage is a must for the King. :) I'm glad you like that decision.

      Thank you for reading. It means a lot. :)

      Delete
  2. Your characters sound so cool! I love that you have an Asian main character. I need one of those one of these days. XD I have Asian side, but not main. Benedict Cumberbatch and Richard Armitage! Yessss! :D The feel of your story world seems really cool. And you're a fellow Narnia fan! Awesome! I followed you on Blog Lovin! I found you via the link-up. I find so many cool people through it. ^ ^

    http://storitorigrace.blogspot.com/2015/06/beautiful-people-parental-edition-dina.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! :)

      I'm glad you liked my choices of characters and such. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

      I've suddenly become enchanted with Asian characters (probably from watching too much anime?). A character from a different story I've been working on suddenly became Asian as well--and it works!

      And yes! I love Narnia. I'm glad to find others who share the love for one of my first and favorite series. I love the link-up too.

      I'll see you around! Thanks for stopping by and reading and commenting. It means a lot to me. It was a pleasure to meet you.

      Delete