Saturday, January 10, 2015

Dear Luke, We Need to Talk, Darth by John Moe--Book Review

I got Dear Luke, We Need to Talk, Darth by John Moe because it looked like a fun, possibly hilarious read. I was wrong. I was so wrong that I never actually finished the book. *sigh*

Dear Luke, We Need to Talk, Darth gives various "nerd-related" films, TV shows, and books a new spin and perspective. From letters of Darth Vader to Luke Skywalker to emails from E.T's spaceship to notes and other correspondences of various pop culture, I thought this book just might have it all.

And it did. It had a lot of great references to read from. But it was... boring. I didn't find the entries that funny. Most were kind of... so-so on the humor scale (and I'm someone who tends to laugh at a lot of things). And there were tons of references that I didn't even understand. Maybe I'm not cultured enough, but I got bored of reading "Rejected Super Bowl Halftime Proposals" after about a page.

I never finished this book and I probably wouldn't recommend it to many people. It looks funny, the concept was fantastic, but the execution fell short of my expectations. Perhaps there is someone out there who would find enjoyment in such a book ,but not me.

I wouldn't say bypass it altogether. If you're well versed in pop culture and want to try for some laughs, hey, maybe pick it up at the library or a used book store for a quick buck. You might laugh or you at least will have a good book to give in a Christmas white elephant gift exchange.

-Jaime

~I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.~

No comments:

Post a Comment