Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Beautiful People: January 2015

Yay! Beautiful People is back! :) (not that I didn't enjoy Beautiful Books, I did!)



This month (which I'm severely lacking in keeping up with) is about the author instead of characters. Which is me! (duh)

Being cute dressed as Peter Pan
The questions:

How many years have you been writing? When did you officially consider yourself a ‘writer’?
Too many. Ha. I've probably been writing since I was seven or eight, since I first understood how to write sentences and paragraphs and longer ideas. But I know I've been telling stories longer because I could make anything talk and have adventures.

But I probably didn't consider myself a write until someone (???) told me that being a writer means you write. Nothing else matters except that. Before I heard that, I always thought about being a writer without knowing I already was.

How/why did you start writing?
I don't remember. The only thing I have are old notebooks with my scrawlings in them. Stories I started and never finished. Stories I did finish but were short, choppy, and terrible (though creative for my child mind). I'm sure I started writing so I could tell stories like the ones I read.

What’s your favorite part of writing?
characters! ideas! things coming together! world-building! words! ahhhh.  I don't know?!?! I like a lot of aspects. I definitely love when ideas fall into place without me even trying. Like I need an explanation for this plot point, here is that explanation plus it ties into this because of that reason. Ah, the strangeness of how the mind works.

What’s your biggest writing struggle?
Editing. Is that considered a "writing" struggle? I've never actually edited anything fully. I want to, but so many ideas hop around and concentrating on making my words better is hard.

Do you write best at night or day?
As much as I hate it, night. But really, it has more to do with the ideas in my head than time of day. If I have a good idea in my head, I can sit and write for a while no matter what time it is.

What does your writing space look like? (Feel free to show us pictures!)
Ha. Look out your window? See the world? Yep, there's my writing place. I don't have a specific place. Usually I sit on my bed, but like I said if I have something to write, I can write it anywhere, any time.

~However, I would like to get a desk and have a place to sit and write. Fingers crossed that will happen soon.~

How long does it typically take you to write a complete draft?
Another impossible question to ask. It's different with every story. And I've really only ever finished two, maybe three complete drafts (a lot of my drafts have holes because I skip around to write scenes). Sometimes I can knock out a complete draft in a month (like I've done twice with nanowrimo, camp nanowrimo). Other times it takes longer. A year, two years. My current WIP (the one that is semi-complete in that most of the scenes are written) has been in my head since the beginning of 2013 and I have other ideas that have been started that are even longer).

How many projects do you work on at once?
I try to stick to one, unless I'm leaving it sit for a while, but I can't always say that's what happens. I guess I keep an open mind. I don't intentionally go to write certain stories, but if I find the inspiration for this or that scene/character/plot idea... I'll write it down and file it away for later use (provided I can find it later, of course).

Do you prefer writing happy endings, sad ones, or somewhere in between?
I'm hopeless in wanting a happy ending (you know, "and they lived happily ever after") but I know that's not always realistic so it's probably not always going to happen. I would say probably somewhere in between, but I don't really know. It depends on the story, I think.

List a few authors who’ve influenced your writing journey.
Probably too many to name: J.R.R. Tolkien (seriously though, his world-building and characters), C.S. Lewis (the magic of Narnia is always within me), Ted Dekker (the way he weaves his stories together), Lisa T. Bergren (I aspire to write as well-written stories as she does), Donita K. Paul (if she's a dragon lady, I'm a dragon princess...), and though he's not an author, Adam Young (Owl City) has a way with words and emotions that I wish I could capture (I would call that magic too).

Do you let people read your writing? Why or why not?
Yes and no. I don't usually let people see it until at least a draft is finished. And then, I have people read it who can help me edit it. I've promised a few people that they will get to read stuff I've written, but first I have to edit it. Because really nobody needs to read the craziness of my mental pathways when I'm in a frenzy to write 50k+ in 30 days.

What’s your ultimate writing goal or dream?
I just want to tell people stories. Whether that means publication or simply finding a way to share my work with others, that's the dream. I want my stories to compel someone else like stories have compelled me. I would also like to be the person that makes dragon novels popular again, but you know, that's just a side idea.

If you didn’t write, what would you want to do?
Work in a library or bookstore so I can be around books and help others find stories they will fall in love with.

~this will probably happen anyways, so I guess my answer would be an astronomer or paleontologist/archaeologist, but I'm not that good at science, so.~

Do you have a book you'd like to write one day but don’t feel you’re ready to attempt it yet? 
I do have a couple. I have two superhero-esque stories I'd like to try (one requires a mass amount of research I haven't the time or energy to do right now; and the second needs more of a vision, I think). There's the story I had planned to write for Nano last year but totally turned my plan around and started a rewrite for my current WIP. I also have a sci-fi story I'd like to reconfigure and rewrite someday. But until then, my characters will have to dream of the stars on their own. *sigh*


Which story has your heart and won't let go?
Right now, that would be my WIP with A Girl and Her Dragon story. The characters--more than anything--won't let go.

What about you? Are you a writer? You should totally join me in answering this month's Beautiful People! I'd love to hear your responses. :)



-Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment