Saturday, November 15, 2014

Beautiful Books: November 2014


Sorry I've been absent lately! Nanowrimo started and I still have a lot of homework to do (never, ever take 18 credit hours).

But I wanted to pop in and do Beautiful Books, which is a meme/link-up to go along with Beautiful People and Nanowrimo created by Sky @ Further Up and Further In and Cait @ Notebook Sisters.

So here are the questions (and you should answer them too). I thought the halfway point in Nanowrimo would be a good time to do it!

Questions:

1. Be honest: how is your writing going?

Terrible. I'm about 5000+ words behind the daily word count. Usually at this point I'm ahead of schedule and on a roll. However, what I said I was going to do for Nanowrimo has completely been thrown out the window and I decided to run with a different idea. (I'm rewriting a novel I've been working on for a while now. But it's harder than it looks! Also it means I'm technically a rebel.)

2. What’s your first sentence/paragraph?
"They say the dragons fell from the sky like light showers fall in the nighttime sky. Suspended in streaks of color, scales vibrant and glistening in the too bright sunlight. Fiery breath escaping in one last shovel of air. Wings streaking out behind like tent canopies rising to greet the sky."

3. Do you have a book cover, and/or pictures that reflect your book?
This is the picture I'm using for the novel picture on nanowrimo profile. But I haven't created an actual "cover" yet, though it'll definitely have dragons on it! :D


4. Do you have pictures of each of your characters? If not, describe them for us! (Be as descriptive as you can.)
Yes! I've revealed some of them before, so they might look familiar: (I'm only doing the main characters because there are many minor characters that pop in and out)

This isn't perfect but it's the best I could find.

I don't want to talk about this

Pure accident finding this

hehehehe

I don't want to talk about this either

5. What scene are you most excited to write?
Weeeeeell. I have a scene where the shy female character (Brielle) punches the annoying, prat of princes (Killian) in the face. And that's pretty exciting. But other than that when the dragon eggs hatch! :D

6. Share a snippet or a scene that you really enjoyed writing.
Well.

Brielle clenched her jaw. Coward. He thought her a coward because she wouldn’t punch him for practice. She watched him, laid back with that smug look on his face. His hair was all messy, his clothes ripped, frayed, or straying from their proper tucks and ties. Who did he think he was calling her a coward when he, living in the city of Estrid, dressed no better than a pirate? 

She wanted to scoff back at him, step on his boots, kick him in the shins. Something anything to wipe that look off his face, to knock the analyzing eyes from his skull—he looked at her if she was nothing more than another recruit. And he acted like he didn’t care for the Guard. He was no better than a soldier himself!

And so Brielle found herself taking three steps to greet his face with her fist. 

His eyes widened as he knocked backwards, catching his balance with his knees, as his arms flailed up to grab at his nose. She had decked him hard. Blood gushed from both nostrils. 

7. Now that you're writing, have any of the plot details, or the process itself, turned out different from what you planned or imagined?
Well, I'm writing a completely different story than I originally planned. But yes, some things have fallen into place since I began and I've been able to tie up loose ends that I haven't before. In addition, Killian's character has been quite the adventure trying to nail down. He's all over the place (for various reasons), so sometimes he acts like a charming young man and other times he's an annoying prick.

8. Is there a character or aspect of your plot that's difficult to write?
It's hard for me to do setting and figure out I want to set up this world. It's difficult to see and nail down distances of locations as well as to include enough information without overdoing it about the kingdoms and world these characters live in.

9. What’s your favorite aspect of this novel so far? Favorite character?
There's so many things. I love all my character so dearly (like I fangirl about them all the time). And I love the story I've got going and how it moves and how it falls into place. And just so many things. so many.

10. Have you drawn off of any life experiences or people you know to create your novel and characters?
I don't know specifically, but I have a hard time recognizing whether I do or not. I'm sure there are some aspects that have been drawn from my own experiences and people I know, including myself.

11. Do you have a playlist or certain song for your novel and/or characters?
I wanted to make 8 tracks playlists for both story and characters but I haven't gotten to it yet. Basically, I just listen to movie soundtracks like How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit and Catching Fire. But I See Fire By Ed Sheeran is pretty accurate to the book (or at least later on)

12. Let’s have some fun for a moment: imagine you are somehow transported into your book’s world. Which character are you most likely to be found hanging out with?
I would want to meet Brielle and probably Gilbert the most. I'd be too shy to talk to Killian and I would want to give Fitz space so he doesn't feel overwhelmed. While I love Tiberius, I'm not sure we'd have anything to talk about. But Gilbert is so done to earth he'd be polite and keep conversation and Brielle is probably the most like me so I would want to talk to her.

13. How do you keep yourself motivated to finish your daily wordcount? (Pinterest? Internet breaks? Chocolate?)
I like adding my word count to the nanowrimo word count bar. It makes me feel good to see the little bar move up and turn green. It's not as rewarding as say chocolate but still... also then I can let myself go to sleep without worrying about getting too far behind!

14. What’s your favorite writing quote or piece of writing advice?
Ugh. so many. Not sure if this is my favorite but it's an inspiring motivator.



15. How does this book make you feel so far? Are you laughing? Crying? Frustrated?
Let me show you:









Basically

You should totally join in on the link-up! Because it's fun! And you don't have to be participating in Nanowrimo to do it! 


-Jaguar Hero!

4 comments:

  1. That opening paragraph is awesome! I loved it.

    Isn't it great when parts of the story fall into place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)

      And yes! It's amazing and every time blows my mind that it can come together like it has :)

      Delete
  2. The paragraph about the dragons sounds awesome—good luck getting your story back on its feet, however different it is from what you originally envisioned. (Also, I have to admit my little (very little) sister was entranced by all the GIFs you shared... XD So you have little kid points there. :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's slowly coming along. I wrote a lot more words than I imagined, so that's great! :) Thanks for the encouragement.

      And that's hilarious and made my day (I went a little gif crazy but it was fun and entirely too accurate) :)

      Delete