Saturday, August 9, 2014

Spoken For by Robin Jones Gunn and Alyssa Joy Bethke--Book Review

Spoken For by Robin Jones Gunn and Alyssa Joy Bethke aims to define what it means to belong to Christ. Through their own personal experiences and evidence from the Bible, they explore God as the Lover and our lives as a Great Romance to express the idea that we don't have to wait to be swept away in a love story. Instead, each and every person is already part of one and therefore, we are all spoken for.

I've been a long time fan of Robin Jones Gunn. I read all the Christy Miller books, Sierra Jensen books, and Katie Weldon books (I am still waiting to read her new stories with these beloved forever friends). But after initially reading the back cover, thinking about the whole "christian living" idea, I did have my doubts. I mean, another self-help book, yeah? Something filled with encouraging words that sound nice but don't always ring true in real life situations. We've all read those.

But I was wrong.

Each chapter focuses on one central truth beginning with "You are," which all lead up to the final and most important idea "You are Spoken For." I thought I would try out reading one chapter a day for ten days (as the book, I believe, is meant to be read). There are also discussion/personal journal questions at the end of each chapter to help reflect on what each chapter is trying to say. Overall, it did not disappoint.

Gunn and Bethke give personal life experiences about God, relationships, and romance. They offer Bible passages to support their central truths for questions. They add in quotes and ideas from other people, most of recognizable names. They come across with a friendly, conversational tone as if they are your friend sharing their story with you.

I find their stories and words powerful, especially for young girls. These central truths are important for people to be reminded of in the ups and downs of life. They are something every person, girl or boy, young and old, should keep hidden in their hearts.

While most the stories were romance related, girl-oriented, and clearly aimed for teenagers, I can see others enjoying what they have to say about God's love and promises. Yes, there will be people who will read and roll their eyes, thinking its frivolous. Maybe this book isn't for everyone. Maybe not everybody can relate or care to relate. Maybe it's too mushy and romance-driven. That's okay. But I still think the central truths are important to remember. And even though it's young women-oriented, I can see it being adapted to fit for young men (they need to know these truths also).

Overall, I think this book is something people need to be reminded of. I myself needed it as I read. I hope to share this book with other young ladies around me so they too may know that they are loved, cherished, and well, spoken for! :)

Yes, that was cheesy.

If you want to see for yourself, you can read a sneak peek. You can also watch Alyssa Joy Bethke's video "Something Every Girl Needs to Hear." In addition, Alyssa has a ten-day devotional that corresponds with the book on her blog. Enjoy :)

-Jaguar Hero!

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment