Thursday, August 7, 2014

Beautiful People: August 2014

Beautiful People is back for another month (thunderous cheering coming from my direction).


It was a struggle for me to decide who to pick for Beautiful People this month. I wish I could do all my characters but then this post would be wayyy too long. Instead, I had to settle after a long, drawn-out fight. I wanted to stay within the story of my previous Beautiful People posts. As much as I love them, I don't want to use Killian or Brielle again just yet (until more characters can be introduced, then we'll see). However, I ran through a list of the more important characters and the questions weren't working for me. So I'm switching gears.



I'm going to introduce my first Nanowrimo novel from all the way back in 2011! Crazy how time goes by. It's pending title is The Key Bearers, and it's about two young people from different parts of their world who have to save their world from impending darkness by using magical pieces of a key to travel through various sectors. I love the story and the characters and everything I poured into this novel. Now I just need to edit, which I've put off for the last three years (sort of. I've gone through and marked up my copy but I need to rewrite which I haven't done).

Let me introduce one of the two main characters, Brillianne Hood, or Rill for short. He's from Sector 6 in the world of Zayin, which is the woodsy/forest sector. He has three older brothers and a widowed mother. He's afraid of the dark, but he's awestruck by the beauty of the world. The one thing he knows he's good at is hunting, which is helpful in his Sector. 


This is spot-on how I picture Rill, even the clothes fit. I would imagine him a little bit younger. I think the actor, Alexander Vlahos, is older than I would like but he fits so perfectly! (especially that hair) :)


1) What does your character regret the most in their life?
Rill regrets that he didn't have a chance to save his father. Even though his father's death is no way his fault, he blames himself. He comes up with reason after reason of how he was responsible and if he had done this or that, he might have saved his father.

His father died in an avalanche while on an expedition to bring supplies and such to a sick village on the other side of the mountain pass. Rill frequently looks to the mountain pass with the guilt twisting its way through him. 

2) What is your character's happiest memory? Most sorrowful memory?
Rill's happiest memory is when he shot his first rabbit and first hunting prize ever. He was young, only five or six, and soon learned he was naturally skilled at using the bow. Ever since, he's never missed a shot.

His most sorrowful is the day they learned of his father's death. It had been a normal winter day with the sun actually shining and the snow sparkling. Men who had been on the expedition with his father had returned; they had been the only survivors. The avalanche had swept the other bodies away so they didn't even have anything to bury in the grave.

3) What majorly gets on your character’s nerves?
Himself mainly. He's a perfectionist so when he messes up or does something he feels isn't right, he gets mad at himself and beats himself up. He also doesn't like when his older brothers tease him, which happens constantly as he is the baby of the family.

4) Do they act differently when they're around people as opposed to being alone? If so, how?
He's not around many people. He stopped attending school in town after feeling uncomfortable. He usually is around one of his older brothers and his mother. A few of his brothers pop in to go hunting, but mainly he acts the same. He's usually quiet but when he gets comfortable around someone, he starts to open and talk more.

5) What are their beliefs and superstitions? (Examples: their religion or lack of one, conspiracy theories, throwing salt, fear of black cats.)
His father used to tell him stories about a great King that watched over Zayin (their world). The way the world is split between the seven sectors with no communication or way to travel between, Rill isn't so sure about a King. Where would the King live so he could communicate to all of Zayin?

 In addition, his father's death gave him doubts of a King or any other great being watching out for them. If the King cared, he wouldn't let tragic things such as his father's death, which left his mother to raise four boys, happen. It's too cruel.

But when he goes out to hunt and as he marvels about the beauty of nature, he does believe something must have created everything.

6) What are their catchphrases, or things they say frequently?
He doesn't talk a whole lot. So at this point, I'm not sure what he would say frequently.

7) Would they be more prone to facing fears or running from them?
I think he would be a runner. He stops going to the local school because he fears the kids and what they say about him. He doesn't make friends because he fears they will somehow learn he is responsible for his father's death. And within the story, he keeps running from a deep fear, the darkness, that threatens to take over.

8) Do they have a good self image?
Yes and no. In certain terms, he would be okay with himself. He knows he's a good hunter. He knows people love him. But he doesn't usually focus on things such as appearance. He does blame himself for his father's death, which affects how he sees himself also.

9) Do they turn to people when they're upset, or do they isolate themselves?
He definitely isolates himself. He runs off to the woods to hunt or just climb a tree to think.

10) If they were standing next to you would it make you laugh or cry?
I would probably cry. I would want to give him a big hug and tell him everything will be okay; he'll make it; he'll figure things out. But then I would laugh with him because once he gets to know people he's a wonderful person. :')


Rill has a special place in my heart. He was one of the first characters with a finished story worth editing and dreaming about more. He has parts of me interlaced within, but he's also his own person. His story, his past, makes me want to wrap in him a protective bubble so he never feels pain, but I know that the pain will help him heal and become a better person. I hope to introduce you to his soon-best friend from the book, Keandall. But we'll have to wait on her for later. :) 

You can join in any time this month! I'm interested in reading about your characters. :)

-Jaguar Hero!

6 comments:

  1. Do I detect a slight 'Hunger Games' influence? I think I might! Rill sounds very interesting, in a brooding, melancholly sort of way. I think he'd be sweet if he didn't have as much baggage. Thanks for letting me meet him!
    -Westmoure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I never even thought about how similar Rill might be to Katniss! (maybe they really aren't except for the hunting and deceased father aspects.) Interesting though that you pointed that out. I HOPE they aren't too similar. The whole hunting thing fits so well with the story (but that's a whole other... story? i don't know what i'm saying).

      :) Thank you for reading. I'm glad you found him interesting. And I think throughout the story Rill's better side, the less brooding side, does appear. So there's hope!

      Delete
  2. Rill sounds like an amazing character! Very real and relateable (who could definitely use a hug!). Thanks for introducing him! He was fun to meet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are free to give him as many hugs as needed (though he might not hug back. He's kind of awkward.) Poor baby. :(

      Thanks for reading, commenting, and enjoying meeting him. :)

      Delete
  3. Aww he sounds like a great character, I just want to give him a hug! That religion question is really interesting, I'm looking forward to popping along to more blogs via the link-up and seeing what people have to say. So many of the blogging world, it seems to me, are Christians but so many of us write fantasy, it's hard to know where the overlap can be!

    http://wishingiwasnorthern.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/why-hello-there.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He tends to receive the "want to give him a hug" comment a lot. :)

      I thought it was interesting too. And I think a lot of the blogs connected through Beautiful People are Christians because of the overlap of shared interests, common ground, and possibly originating from the same source (an author that had a blog thing, or a writing group that stems from Christian works). There are most likely plenty of writing/fantasy blogs out there not Christian-oriented. And not all Christians write "christian" books; and not all fantasy characters are necessarily "christian" either.

      Delete