Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Novel Idea 8/23/14

A Novel Idea

Finally, I've had time to sit down and complete this week's A Novel Idea questions. These questions don't focus on specific characters or ideas from stories, but instead, focus on my writing process/writing style. I think it's neat to explore both since both are vital to the writing and story telling. So here we go! :)


1. What are 3 books you’ve read more than 3 times? Is there a reason you keep re-reading them? What do you think it is about these books that keeps bringing you back?

When I was little, I used to re-read whole series of books over and over and over (see: Little House on the Prairie and Ramona Quimby books). More recently, there have only been a few (mainly because there are so many more books to read and I'll never catch up). Since I tend to read series, I'll just name three series, otherwise there would be more books. The River of Time Series by Lisa T. Bergren, The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, and probably The Dreamhouse Kings series by Robert Liparulo.

It's hard to decide why I always re-read them. For a long time, The Hunger Games were a few of my favorite books, until I read The River of Time series. I had to re-read when new books came out of course. I like the characters, the story-telling, and how everything unfolds.

What do you do when you get an idea for a plot, scene, etc, when you are at a place you can’t sit down to write it?
I cry. Ha-ha. I'm just kidding. I either write it on my hand if there's a spare pen/marker/blood (just kidding) around. Or I try to repeat it over and over in my head. Or I hunt down a place to write it down, especially if it's a super awesome idea and just what I needed next in a story. :)

(but I usually have a notebook and pencil/pen with me at all times. It's a mandatory thing for a writer; and my creative writing professor demands we carry something with us at all times)

What do you think is your strongest suit as a writer? Do you make your characters believable, your plot interesting?
I would say maybe my imagination/story-generating? I don't know. It's hard to tell. I hope my characters are believable, but I don't know. I think my plot's could be interesting (as long as they make sense and flow)

What genre of writing do you prefer to write?
I usually write in fantasy. I mean, dragons and castles and crazy stuff is always fun. Rarely have I ventured into other genres, and when I have, there's usually a magical surrealism feel to them. :) But I kind of like writing magical surrealism, so I might dabble in that more. I've tried sci-fi before but never finished anything with it. Someday.

What are your goals as a writer? Do you want to publish, or do you just do it for fun?
First and foremost, I write because I love to write. I write because I want to create, I want to share stories, and I think I would go crazy if I didn't. (unless I already am crazy?) I mean, it would be fantastic to be published someday. I probably will try for it when I feel ready, but I don't have this looming pressure or desire to do that. I don't think that's the most important aspect. Maybe write to have people read, but definitely not to just publish or make money. That's wrong for anybody to write anyways. It's a passion.

You should definitely take a look at the questions and link-up. I'd love to hear your answers to the questions. :)

-Jaguar Hero!

No comments:

Post a Comment