Saturday, August 2, 2014

A Novel Idea 8/2/14

This week's A Novel Idea focuses on writing and the writing process instead of characters or setting. Sorry you won't get to here more about the characters this week, but Beautiful People will be posted soon, so no fear!

A Novel Idea


Here are the questions! :)

1. What does your writing process look like? Do you sit down and plot your story before you start writing, or do you usually start writing before you plot?

A disaster waiting to happen. I don't usually plot beforehand. I'm what's known as a "pantser." I sit down with a general idea of the story and characters and write by the seat of my pants. And usually that ends with a messy first draft with random things that change part way through and awesome or not so awesome things thrown in randomly {probably why I can never find the will to edit through the mess). :P

But I've tried outlines and plotting. It just doesn't work. It sucks my ideas away and doesn't give me room to grow the story.

2. Do you have any strange writing habits? Such as, only writing in one certain place, etc?

I don't think I have any strange habits. I can usually write any places where I can focus.

3. Do you usually write on paper or on the computer? (Or on a typewriter?)

Oh how I wish I could say typewriter!

For a long time, I wrote everything by hand. Lately, I've done mainly computer; it's been a while for hand. But every once in a while I switch it up to keep things fresh and exciting. :) There's nothing like a good solid pencil against paper.

4. What authors inspire you to write better? Is there an author you’d like to be like?

So many. C.S. Lewis J.R.R. Tolkien, Lisa T. Bergren, now Leigh Bardugo. Their stories are magically wonderful and make me want to write as well as them. I'm stuck between wanting to have the contemporary writing like Bergren and Bardugo and wanting the high-class high fantasy knowledge of Tolkien and Lewis. *sigh*

And Owl City, though he isn't an author (though I think he should be). His song lyrics and blog posts inspire me. He, as a person, has inspired me to keep writing. Because if a shy boy from a small town can get his optimistic lyrics to millions of people, a shy girl from a small town might just be able to reach people with her words too.

5. What advice would you give to people who want to start writing?

Run. Run far away. Don't do it. Get out while you still can.

But if you must, if you can't bear not to write, if everything is pulling you to write, if you're heart would break if you didn't write then write. Keep writing. Read lots of books. Read books you hate, you love. Read. Read. Read. And then write. Keep writing. Write all the time. Keep a notebook with you at all times to jot ideas and random inspiration.

Write and Read. And you'll learn.

Hope you enjoyed this :)

-Jaguar Hero!

11 comments:

  1. Typewriter lovers of the world unite! Nice post! I enjoyed it, and have to agree on the sentiment you have on JRR Tolkien and such.
    -Westmoure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading AND commenting! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

      And yes! Yes to both typewriters and Tolkien! :D

      Delete
  2. Muahaha! I loved how you said to "run. run far, far away". That just made my day. It's sooo true! I wish I could get out of it now, but I can't. I'm stuck. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah! I know the feeling.:)

      thank you!

      Delete
  3. There truly IS nothing better than a solid pencil against paper.

    As you probably already know, Owl City inspires me too. I love how you said, if his words can inspire others, maybe yours can too. I'd definitely agree with that. ♥

    Also, your last paragraph of advice is amazing. I love how you said "if everything is pulling you to write, if your heart would break if you didn't write, then write." That is so true. A lot of times I dislike writing, but I can't NOT do it.

    Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      Yes! Owl City... or Adam Young continues to blow my mind, as does the constant urge to write amid the ups and downs of life.

      Thank you! :)

      Delete
  4. Typewriters ♥ Notebooks can be awesome, though I prefer a pen, myself.

    Whoa, hang on... did you just say Owl City / Adam Young has a blog‽‽ Do tell!

    || the writeress || barefoot in the snow ||

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      Yes! Well, he had a more-blog type thing, but he transfered it over to a tumblr. However, you can go to his archive and scroll past the tumblr-esque shenanigans (or not because some are fun) and just read his old blog posts that way (but don't skip out on some of his photography because that's pretty rad too) :)

      Here's the link: http://www.ayoungblog.com/

      :D

      Delete
    2. Thank you!! I'll definitely be checking that out. ((because I totally need another blog to read... ha.))

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah! :)

      He's well-worth reading. However, he doesn't post as much any more (at least in regards to reading). Every once in a while he'll have a post and it's always, always magical. :)

      Delete