Friday, July 4, 2014

Fandom Fridays: Star-Spangled Man

So I decided to be that person who proves my patriotism for the Fourth of July by pushing a favorite, red-white-and-blue superhero on people. :D

I mean, it is the Fourth of July. How could I resist talking about the best life-ruiner superhero.* It's his birthday!!! He'd be well... old today. Really old.

For this week's Fandom Friday I have chosen to express my history and love of: Captain America!



When I was coming out of sixth grade, I went to summer camp for the first time through my church. It was one of the best decisions of my life and soon became the favorite week of the year. Since I am not longer able to attend as a student, I have invested being a camp counselor before.

But my first year changed my life. You see, we always are split into teams and we get to do a lot of crazy stuff throughout the week to earn points, such as muddy games, crazy stunts, throat-drying chants and cheers, and a plethora of other wild adventures. My first year of camp all the teams were named after superheroes. And thus, I learned who Captain America was. (My team came in dead last that year, but we didn't care. We just continued to chant about stars and stripes)

After camp, I went to work doing my research. I hadn't heard of many superheroes before that unless they had movies such as Batman, Superman, and Spider-man did. I was just getting into X-Men. But Captain America stole my heart immediately. There was just something different about him. Something more.



I spent the next few years awaiting the day they would finally make his movie. I heard rumors. I saw possible candidates up for the role. And then: the first trailer. I think I screamed. No, I know I screamed. I remember going to see the movie with my parents on opening night (not midnight though). I was beyond amazed at what they had done with his story line. They changed a few things here and there to make it fit, but it. was. perfect. I was in love (and I still am). I mean, come on. I was the kid in ninth grade (pre-movie) with the only (homemade) Captain America costume for Superhero Day. SHIELD and all**.


But now the world could share in my excitement. People would finally understand why I adored Steve Rogers, just a kid from Brooklyn. It made me happy.

So you can imagine my joy over the latest Captain America movie, The Winter Soldier. As a fangirl I was so pumped when I heard the title announced after The Avengers movie. I mean: The. Winter. Soldier. I couldn't believe they were going to do it. They would do this story arc***. They were going to do it. And I screamed again (and haven't stopped****). And people always came up to me and ask me what it meant and I would get to explain with a sly grin on my face (well, I tried to make it sly).

So why Captain America? Is it his patriotism? His loyalty to his nation and the truths and rights America is supposed to uphold? Is it his character? The little guy from Brooklyn who was too stupid to run away from a fight. His loyalty to friends? And not just friends but BUCKY FREAKING BARNES (I'm kind of obsessed with him also but if you know his story arc welllllll, it's not far off from the Captain).



I think there are so many reasons to adore Steve Rogers/Captain America. And if I were to list them all, it would take a long time and it would be a long list. And this post is already long enough.

So, Captain America. The Star-Spangled Man. Steve Rogers. A good man. A hero.

"Do you think the A on my head stands for France?"



-Jaguar Hero!

Bonus one:

This is illegal 


Bonus two:

Only Cap could smile after a battle, eh?


Bonus three:

I'm going to stop now

Bonus four:

Nope.  Never mind.
But: THEY ARE SYNCHRONIZED!! 
Bonus Five: 

1940s male models 


~I'm sorry all my pictures are from the movies. I wanted to use more comic-book related ones but I didn't have time to find any. These will have to do.~

But here is a picture of me with my Captain America plushie! :)



*This is purely my opinion, so you are entitled your own opinion on the best superhero. But you have to agree, he is pretty EPIC.
**Sadly, I don't have pictures of that day. I wish I had one of me dressed up because it was pretty amazing and my mommy made me an awesome shield that I didn't get to use because I couldn't carry it around all day. Sigh.
***I don't want to give away any spoilers to those who haven't seen the movie yet. But it's amazing. You won't be disappointed. Go right now and watch it. Please. (and if you haven't been spoiled already because it's everywhere, bless you)
****I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I've afraid I don't know how to stop.

Also: heil hydra

No comments:

Post a Comment