Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Crater Trueblood and the Lunar Rescue Company by Homer Hickam--Book Review

"Crater Trueblood has to rescue his ex-girlfriend... and the entire human race."

Maria Medaris, the matriarch of the most powerful family on the moon, has been kidnapped. But these kidnappers have much bigger plans than a simple kidnapping: they plan to destroy the Earth with engineered asteroids. After the kidnappers destroy all spacecraft in orbit around the moon, only Crater Trueblood and his Lunar Rescue Company have access to an operating ship. Only Crater and his team can rescue Maria and hope to stop the asteroids from hitting Earth.

I've read Homer Hickam's previous novels in the Helium-3 Series, Crater and Crescent. Both of those books left me with mixed feelings about the novels, and Crater Trueblood and the Lunar Rescue Company does much the same. (Wow, that title is a mouthful. I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't a single word like the other two books. Personal nitpick.)

Once more, I found myself lost among the stars as I journeyed to the moon to join Crater and his team. The terminology used in the novel is rich, which can be good or bad. It makes the story feel more authentic. I feel as if I am on the moon with the characters. The scientific terms behind the story give it a strong pull, grounding the story. On the dark side, it leaves me with a head of words. I felt like I was swimming through the story in a murky layer. I didn't always see a clear picture of what was happening because I didn't have some of the terms defined.

The story line had its ups and downs also. It had an exciting, adventurous, gravitational pull. I wanted to keep reading to find out how (because I did not doubt they would) save the day. Again. However, sometimes it felt too easy. All these events perfectly aligned. That's not to say there weren't trials that characters had to go around. There was plenty of blockades in their way. Also, I felt certain events were supposed to be plot twists, but they weren't at all surprising.

Once more I found the characters' actions and personalities cliche. Maria is the perfect human being. Crater's character is dense and not always enjoyable. I did finally connect with him toward the end. And Crescent: as much as I enjoy the uniqueness of her character, her jealous feelings became dull fast.

Overall, the story and characters were decent. The lunar setting and space-y terms gives it an extra boost to keep things interesting. I would definitely say young readers, such as the tweens to early teens, would enjoy this type of story. It has the perfect mix of adventure, mystery, and excitement.

-Jaguar Hero!
I received this book for free through BookLook from Thomas Nelson publishing to give my open and honest opinion of the story, nothing more and nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment