Tuesday, May 13, 2014

One Realm Beyond by Donita K. Paul--Book Review

Cantor D'Ahma was born with the gift to walk between worlds and today is his first opportunity to venture out into the realms. As a young realm walker, he wants to find his purpose in protecting and defending the realms, but within the first day of stepping through a portal, he soon learns the universe isn't as simple as he thought. Along with a few new friends and a not-so-helpful dragon, Cantor uncovers deceit within the ranks of the supposedly noble "Realm Walkers Guild."

I have always been a huge fan of Donita K. Paul's books. She weaves powerful messages within the pages of fun fantasy and magical worlds filled with dragons, wizards, and unforgettable characters. Within the first installment of her newest trilogy, she does much the same.

Between the obnoxious Bridger and the creative and a little strange Bixby, Paul's characters in One Realm Beyond bring the story to life. I love how Paul crafts her characters, giving them unique characteristics even after so many fantasy stories have been told. Bixby has a spunkiness to her that thrives through her appearance in her creative clothing choices and her springy hair. Cantor's character shines through because of his upbringing and education about the realm walkers world. And the dragons? Absolutely hilarious and wonderfully crafted that brings a new element to dragons even after all the legend and lore that has been established.

Her story line was also crafted with nothing less than magic. It held true and kept me reading, even though a lot happens throughout the novel. I was swept along with the characters as they figured things out and learned the good and bad about the Realm Walkers Guild. As they learned, I learned. And I could clearly see their character growth.

The world building is fabulous. Worlds and realms are developed to bring them to life as if I am watching a movie instead. I hope in the next two books in the series I can learn more about the other realms. I would love to live within the realm walkers world, traveling from one realm to the other and learning about the culture and systems.

Overall, this story was fun and fantastically created. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves fantasy with a hint of fun and humor, especially those in the pre-teen to teen age group. Also, if you love dragons, this is one story you don't want to miss out on. :)

Check out the book trailer below and learn more about the Realm Walkers Trilogy here.



-Jaguar Hero!

I received this book for free through BookLook from Zondervan publishing to give my open and honest opinion of the story, nothing more and nothing less.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! Couldn't agree more. I can't wait for the next book in the series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm definitely looking forward to the next book too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review, and great story! I loved it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I commented on this last week, and it didn't show up! I suspect my computer and/or internet. Both of which are being horrible cooperators. LOVE the book and the characters and the wonderful story telling of Donita K. Paul! Great blog review. I approve this post. And this story!

    ReplyDelete