Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Doon by Carey Corp and Lori Langdon--Book Review

When Veronica and McKenna go to Scotland for the summer, they expected a nice break from their lives in America. But immediately, their lives are turned upside down when they find two magical rings and a cryptic letter from McKenna's aunt that transports them to a place called Doon. A fairytale locked in a bottle. With two handsome princes, one of which that Veronica had seen before. But the girls soon learn there is more to Doon than princes and fairy tales, and it just might shake their entire world.

This book had so much potential. So much. Before reading, I had heard good things about it, but after reading it, I wonder where that came from. I'll try my best to explain without turning too critical and harsh (there are other reviews that go into that).

There were limited things I liked about the book, mainly the idea of being transported to another world, especially involving castles and royalty and two friends going off on an adventure. But that's where it ends.

First, the characters were all cliche. I felt no connection to either of the girls, and their endless swooning over the male figures in the story got annoying fast. Like gag, vomit, every where. Oh, nice, a drool worthy prince who doesn't even give the protagonist the time of day. Also, they both see the other as "stunningly beautiful" but see themselves as drab and ugly. Come on! Can we please get some heroine figures (if you could call them that) that actually like their image? Seriously. Grumbles under breath.

Second, the setting was not what I expected. Oh, cool! A new, magical world. No. It was awkward. A mismatch of medieval style and modern incarnations, which made zero sense. I do actually need some logic in a story line and world building.

Third, the story line was too easy. There is this dark evil overshadowing the kingdom. But it was defeated so easily and in such a cliche way that I just wanted to close the book and pick up a copy of a real fantasy page turner. I felt there was so much the story could go into that wasn't even spoken about or explained, and everything that happened was pointless.

Last, the ending made me want to hurl. I just... *goes into a rant about the purpose of life and how not to screw it up and that seriously there is more to life than finding a hot boyfriend and seriously i just want to punch someone right now*

I was disappointed. I think my favorite part was the cover. I don't think I'll be recommending this to anyone or even donating my copy to a library. I am also disappointed to hear this is the first in a series of sorts. I don't think I'll be looking into reading any of the other "Doon novels."

-Jaguar Hero!

P.S. Sorry for the harshness of this review. I think this is my first 1-2 star rating.

I received this book for free through booksneeze from Blink/Zondervan publishing to give my open and honest opinion of the story, nothing more and nothing less.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your honest review, because I had been contemplating requesting this book to review myself. I'm guessing that from your comments I would be too critical myself, since a lot of what you say is what I am seeing you YA fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I understand how difficult it is for reviewers to be honest when they don't like a book because it might invade the writer's personal feelings. (Being a writer, I understand how dear stories and such are to myself) But if we as readers want change in the stories being published, someone needs to speak out. :)

      Thank you for taking the time to read my review and comment. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. I liked the book, but I totally get where you are coming from. This was very similar to a romance novel, but for YA.

    Btw, does your copy have a typo on the back? "Enchantig and romantic with a message of purest hope."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes so much more sense if it was more romance than YA. Thank you for the input. It helps to see different perspectives.

      And yes, my back cover also has that mistake. I hadn't noticed before because I hardly ever read the back cover reviews. Interesting to note though.

      Thank you for taking the time to read my review and comment. Sorry it took me so long to reply; I hadn't realized you had commented.

      Delete