Saturday, December 14, 2013

Chasing Hope by Kathryn Cushman--Book Review

Inspired by Eric Liddell, Sabrina Rice has dreamed of being an Olympic runner since she was a child. But after being diagnosed with arthritis, she has to rethink her dream. Enter: Brandy Philip, who happens to have a talent for running and getting into trouble. After threatened with going to juvenile hall, Brandy has to rethink her own life choices, and the judge determines Sabrina will assist her in doing so by coaching her in running.

This book started off slow. I didn't get a full picture of Sabrina's character until later on, and even then, I felt it was too vague. Brandy's character was better, but still held some of the cliche "rebel child" aspects. I didn't feel as attached or involved to the characters. And their progression of change happened too quickly for my liking. 

The story itself has a hopeful, warm feeling appeal. There aren't too many "exciting" or "action-packed" events, but the aspects of running were interesting. I definitely could picture the details of the running process. At times, I felt the writing was a bit stiff or had unimportant details thrown in there. Everything felt too easy. 

Anyone looking for a good feeling story for a quick read would enjoy this book. It has a good message and strong appeal for those in need of God's direction for their life. In all, it was enjoyable and had a solid ending. 

-Jaguar Hero!

I received this book free from Bethany House for my open and honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment