Thursday, August 29, 2013

NIV College Devotional Bible--Book Review

Zondervan has released a new Bible aimed for college age students. It is a devotional Bible in the New International Version translation. The NIV College Devotional Bible includes inspiration true stories (about a page long) that ties into specific Scriptures. Along with these stories, there are questions included to provide for deep thinking. The coolest part about these devotions is that there are enough to read one a day for nine months, which corresponds with most academic calendars. There is also a subject index, various reading plans fora many lengths of time and subjects.

My reaction to this Bible:

As a college student myself, I thought it would be interesting to see what this Bible has to offer. The layout and feel of it is simple and solid. I can easily maneuver through it, the pages are smooth, and the hardcover is sturdy. It is a Bible that appears to be made to last throughout any length of college education. The text is easy to read also. 

In addition, the devotionals are inspiring and thought-provoking. There are so many inspirational people out there to learn about and apply what they did to my own life. I like the variety of reading plans this Bible has to offer. It covers many subjects from beginning in the faith to learning about specific characters to focusing on aspects of God. There are reading plans to read the Bible in a year, in a 60 day overview, and 30 day plans that focus on specific subjects. 

There are two things I wish this Bible could have included in its manuscript. I have found with other Bibles that footnotes and explanations of specific texts are helpful. While this Bible has a few footnotes about word changes or meanings, there are no longer, explanations. I also would have liked a concordance included instead of just the subject index, which does not provide a lot of reference for specific Biblical passages. 

I will find use in this Bible anyways, and I think any college student looking for a bit more in his or her walk with God will find this Bible will meet his or her needs. 

-Jaguar Hero!
Glory to God

I received this book for free from Zondervan through booksneeze.com. I was required to give my honest opinion of the book, nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment