Thursday, June 27, 2013

Lightning, Thunder, and a little bit of Thor


The other day it stormed in the small town I live in (and have lived in my entire life). And when I say storm, man it stormed! Rain in sheets from the sky so when I looked out the window I couldn't see anything but a watery world. Thunder that crashed and shook the house (though my old dog reacted to none of it). Lightning that lit up the blurry sky with flashes that reminded of a fast photographer's camera. It was insane. It got me excited. And I ran around my house like a kid on Christmas.

I love storms. I love the way the rain falls, pelting the roof, hitting the windows with drops that slither down as if racing to be the first to reach the end, dropping to the sidewalk and blacktop road until the spots are no longer visible and everything is damp. I love how thunder gets, starting off in the distance at a low rumble, getting louder, angrier. How the lightning zigzags across the sky in giant cracks that are beautiful and scary and wonderful all at once. I love storms. I always have and I always will.

When I was little and it would storm, my sister and I would run around the house screaming and then we would get pillows and jump on them. To this day I have no idea why we did that. It was just something we did. Now, I am older and I still get excited. Maybe less jumping and running and screaming, but the emotions of a storm still hit me hard.

Maybe it is partly because I am a writer. I feel stories rise up when it storms. I can feel the rain even if it does not touch my skin. I can hear the thunder shake even if I am not outside. Maybe I picture dragons roaring through the sky, landing to shake the world with their tremendous paws. Maybe the lightning makes me think a wizard war is approaching from just beyond the treeline or if I would venture past the horizon, I could find a portal to another world, streaming with light that crackles and zips across the sky like cracks in a wall (watch out for those by the way!). Maybe a heroic figure with burst from the clouds and slam his hammer to the ground and cause a storm to swirl above as he fights off minions and monsters. Maybe I just dream too much.

I don't know. But I like storms. I like to listen to them. I like to watch them. I like to smell the rain in the air, feel the wind blowing across my skin.

I saw a quote that said, "I like storms because it lets me know that even the sky screams sometimes too." And that is exactly what I think. The sky screaming. The sky crying. The sky feeling something more than a sky should feel. Perhaps I can relate. Perhaps I feel better knowing somehow there is a connection to me and the sky.


-Jaguar Hero!

No comments:

Post a Comment