Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Crescent by Homer Hickam--Book Review

It has been three years since Crater Trueblood traveled across the moon on a special mission. Life on the moon is harsh. War has broken out both among the lunar dust and on the green and blue planet shining below. Crater wants nothing more than to go back to mining, not fight an endless war. But then he captures Crescent, a crowhopper--a genetically modified soldier whose main purpose is to kill. Among the trifles of war, the dust of the moon, and a false accusation, the two team up to escape not only an unfair trial but the war itself.

For me, Crescent had its ups and downs.

I enjoyed the nature of the book, the idea of life on the moon, the cool gadgets and gizmos they use, the terminology of outer space, etc. It captivated me with its rich knowledge and definitely showed the thought put into it to create another world.

However, until the last third of the book, I did not find the story line interesting enough. Yes, I did enjoy learning about Crescent and her crowhopper ways. I liked glimpsing into Maria's life as she battled her conflicting feelings for Crater. But, it was not as exciting as the first book, Crater.

Crater's character was not as well constructed either. Most of the time he was hard to understand, a bit moody, and even kind of annoying when he acted out for no solid reason.

I think a younger crowd, probably preteen to middle school would enjoy this book. It has its exciting moments and has a lot of cool outer space information. Still, I think it has a great concept that I would love to see more of in the future. :)

-Jaguar Hero!

I received this book for free from Thomas Nelson Publishing through booksneeze.com. I was required to give my honest opinion of the book, nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment