Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Twelve Unlikely Heroes by John McArthur--Book Review

Twelve Unlikely Heroes by John McArthur goes through the lives of twelve biblical characters that just like us today had faults and difficulties. The book show that even in the midst of struggles and trials, God can use us to be heroes for His purpose. McArthur uses his understanding and knowledge of these characters to bring about their stories with a new idea of what heroes are.

I started reading this book and while some parts were interesting with tidbits of facts I did not know, for the most part I found it rather uninteresting. Yes, the biblical characters he chose to write about are interesting, I just found the narrative to be long and boring. I feel as if he spent too much time giving us the well-known story instead of delving into deeper thoughts and issues with the characters and their lives. I know a lot of the biblical stories and the book felt more as a retelling in simpler, less biblical narrative. It was not as exciting as I thought it would be.

Plus the whole message of the book was pretty simple and laid out, God is the real hero of The Bible and only through Him can those people He has called become heroes.

Perhaps this book would be interesting for those readers who enjoy reading books that are similar to non-fiction books or are searching for a book to use as lesson plan for Sunday School or other small Bible study groups. I am more into reading about a riveting story line with action and adventure, so this book I felt was lacking it that area, but it could still be appropriate for other readers.



-Jaguar Hero!

I received this book for free from Thomas Nelson Publishing through booksneeze.com. I was required to give my honest opinion of the book, nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment