Monday, September 24, 2012

Dystopian Revolution

Recently, I started to watch the new NBC show Revolution (it premiered last week). And let me tell you, I really enjoyed it. It's set in a dystopian society, a futuristic world where all the power has gone out. However, the main character, Charlie, may have a way of turning it back on, but that secret rests with her father.

I found the show to be exciting right off the bat, and it continued on throughout the whole episode. I'm excited to see what this show brings.

As I was watching I couldn't help but think of the latest genre of books and movies that have kind of taken over the young adult category. Dystopian. Yeah, it's a funky word. It basically means: a place where everything is as bad as it can be. The opposite of Utopian. It normally comes in a futuristic, post-apocalyptic setting (again, normally, I'm sure there are exceptions).

There's been a huge boost of books coming out about this genre ever since The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins) hit the shelves. Between that, Divergent (Veronica Roth), Matched (Ally Condie) and Delirium (Lauren Oliver), it's almost overwhelming. And those are only the books I've read (and can recall right now).

Now don't take this the wrong way because I love this genre. I think it gives me a new perspective about our world and realize we could be a lot worse off. It also gives me thoughts about where we are headed and how can we change things so we don't turn into those crazy worlds. But I find it fascinating that the trend of books and movies coming are about this. A couple years ago if someone mentioned the word dystopian, people would stare at you like you were an alien. But now, people are catching on.

If you like dystopians, I'd check out Revolution. It does have a lot of violence, but so far nothing that a can't handle a PG-13 rating. It's dark too, so if you don't like that type or  you're worried, find a review online you trust or maybe let someone who you respect watch it first to let you know. I think it's going to be a show worth watching. It is J.J. Abrams! (Lost, Star Trek, Super 8)

And I just recently stumbled upon a music video for the band For King and Country, and guess what it's about? A dystopian society. Interesting. Check it out here:



Let me know in the comments any other dystopian books you like or your opinion about the expanding genre. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

-Jaguar Hero!

No comments:

Post a Comment